Window screening safe for mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisfan101

Reaction score
The brand is Adfors aluminum window screening; it’s some sort of aluminum mesh for screen doors I think. Would this be safe for mantids? I remember a while back I used it for my ants and they did fine, and I noitce that some sellers use some sort of metal mesh on their lids. I haven’t used it yet but I left some pieces in with a small group of red runner roaches just to be sure. 

There are often sharp edges in the weave of many aluminum screens that can cut or wear down the tarsi and lead to falls during molting. I can't speak from experience since I only use fabric and fiberglass mesh, but I've read/heard too many hard luck stories from people who used aluminum mesh... so I don't. 

I've also heard that because the weave is so stiff, the tarsi can get caught in the corner of the weaves.

- MantisGirl13 

I don’t have access to any fiberglass mesh atm so I’ll try aluminum, but I’ll definitely get some asap. 

You could try paper towels to cover the containers. That is what I use for containers that need covering. If the aluminum doesn't work.

I need some sort of surface for larger mantids to hold onto when they molt. I had 2 mismolts within less than a day because both mantids fell. 

I use tulle fabric. It's about $1 for a yard, and I rarely have mismolts.

- MantisGirl13 

I got some Adfors Saint-Gobain fiberglass mesh, is t safe for mantids? Do I need to cure it or can I use it right away?

Yep, I would avoid it. I used it briefly when I was first starting out and twice had a mantis get their claws stuck striking at prey. If I hadn't been there the second time the mantis would have damaged its claw trying to twist free in a panic.

Beware of all window screen, you need to wash it as aluminun or steel will have oil on it. Also you can use a womans pantyhose cut to size, easy to come by.

Also I have all types of Plastic mesh on my site, and also a cloth that is organza works really well for molting. Also for weak mantis I glue the humidity foam to the lid and they do really good grabbing the sponge. https://www.mantisplace.com/product-page/1-humidity-foam-for-24-32-oz-cup

Anyone wanting samples, just send address and I will send them.

Beware of all window screen, you need to wash it as aluminun or steel will have oil on it. Also you can use a womans pantyhose cut to size, easy to come by.

Also I have all types of Plastic mesh on my site, and also a cloth that is organza works really well for molting. Also for weak mantis I glue the humidity foam to the lid and they do really good grabbing the sponge. https://www.mantisplace.com/product-page/1-humidity-foam-for-24-32-oz-cup

What is the material you use on your bags for fly orders? I cut them up and glue to enclosures especially  for small nymphs because fruit flies can't get out works great and doesn't wast them.

The roll of window repair fiberglass screen is not a woven mesh and works great wallmart carries it also. But as with anything have had mantids get it's raptorial stuck in it but very rarely happens. Some screens are woven which one strand crosses another and that's the big problem with some screens there claws get caught between wires and Usualy loose claws or even complete legs.

Last edited by a moderator:

What about fiberglass mesh? I just used it for the majority of my mantids and now I’m having doubts

Latest posts