Parashendale ID

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budwing

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me for sure which parashendale genus this mantis belongs to. I had a budwing mantis before which I believed to be of the genus Affinis, my last mantis was male and was more than twice the size of the male in this photo.

The budwings I have now including the one in the picture we’re bought as parashendale affinis and the male in the picture measures exactly 4 cm from head to tail.

8FF2DACA-F524-4114-8E2B-BD93B03246A4.jpeg

Underneath the fore wings of the P. agrionina should be orange and black striping while the P. affinis should have an all black coloring.

I read that the giant Kenyan budwing was parashendale affinis, the last budwing male I had was as big as a tenodera. These ones I have now are more like the size flower mantis.

Giant Kenyans are not Parasphendale affinis, they are Parasphendale stali.

P. affinis are generally about two inches (about 5 cm) long, give or take a bit. Yours is probably affinis.

- MantisGirl13 

Giant Kenyans are not Parasphendale affinis, they are Parasphendale stali.

P. affinis are generally about two inches (about 5 cm) long, give or take a bit. Yours is probably affinis.

- MantisGirl13 
Yes this ones only 4 cm.

I bought my first mantis from one of the main exotic pet shops and they could only tell me it was a budwing. That would have been a stali !. I had to find my own info on the mantis and got some misinformation on the genus. Il check under the forewings later to make sure which these ones are.

I was wondering why there wasn’t much growth in between moults, now I know :).

Thanks.

Latest posts