Black spots

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samson

Reaction score
Please can someone help. Are these black patches normal on my Asian Mantis. They are around her eye and lost limb ( lost during her 4th moult). Her enclosure is bio active but I have recently had difficulty in keeping the humidity higher. It degreases to 11 most days despite misting and cutting the plants. Her eating has become slower but she is eating. I’m really worried!

Attachments

• IMG_9962.jpeg
    IMG_9962.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9961.jpeg
    IMG_9961.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9960.jpeg
    IMG_9960.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9959.jpeg
    IMG_9959.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9958.jpeg
    IMG_9958.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Please can someone help. Are these black patches normal on my Asian Mantis. They are around her eye and lost limb ( lost during her 4th moult). Her enclosure is bio active but I have recently had difficulty in keeping the humidity higher. It degreases to 11 most days despite misting and cutting the plants. Her eating has become slower but she is eating. I’m really worried!
How old is she? I've seen these before, but usually in older specimens. Nice enclosure btw.

How old is she? I've seen these before, but usually in older specimens. Nice enclosure btw.
Hi , thank you so much for replying! I got her in December as I baby so I think around 3 months old. The pet shop told me it was excessive water in her enclosure and once dried she will be fine but I’m not so sure. I hope she will be recover. I assumed it was mould.

She must have been a later instar when you got her if you've had her since December and she's already had her final molt.

Did you mean to say the humidity drops to 11%? A good humidity range for this species is 40-60%. This particular species is very susceptible to illness due to excess humidity. With live plantings that level can be tricky to maintain. I can't imagine a bioactive enclosure dropping that low... unless I'm missing something.

No offense to any pet shop employees, but unless they specialize in invertebrates I'd also do a little research on my own to make sure the info is accurate. Can't hurt to double check.

Hopefully she will be OK... I've seen worse cases that didn't result in death. Keep us posted. Hopefully someone with more suggestions might chime in. 🤞🙂

She must have been a later instar when you got her if you've had her since December and she's already had her final molt.

Did you mean to say the humidity drops to 11%? A good humidity range for this species is 40-60%. This particular species is very susceptible to illness due to excess humidity. With live plantings that level can be tricky to maintain. I can't imagine a bioactive enclosure dropping that low... unless I'm missing something.

No offense to any pet shop employees, but unless they specialize in invertebrates I'd also do a little research on my own to make sure the info is accurate. Can't hurt to double check.

Hopefully she will be OK... I've seen worse cases that didn't result in death. Keep us posted. Hopefully someone with more suggestions might chime in. 🤞🙂
Good Afternoon. She’s only had 4 moles. For a while the bioactive enclosure was perfect however I noticed as the plants grew, this is when the humidity dropped rapidly. Yes apologies I meant 11%.

This is my first Mantis, I have brought a couple of books and tried researching her condition but I’m not getting anywhere. The pet shop told me should would be fine, it was only because I had overwatered her enclosure. Sadly she doesn’t seem fine and now isn’t eating.

I have put her In a temporary enclosure as I have thrown everything away inside her old enclosure and ordered .

I pray she does pull through!

Thank you so much for your replies and support , I’m truly thankful.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
Good Afternoon. She’s only had 4 moles. For a while the bioactive enclosure was perfect however I noticed as the plants grew, this is when the humidity dropped rapidly. Yes apologies I meant 11%.

This is my first Mantis, I have brought a couple of books and tried researching her condition but I’m not getting anywhere. The pet shop told me should would be fine, it was only because I had overwatered her enclosure. Sadly she doesn’t seem fine and now isn’t eating.

I have put her In a temporary enclosure as I have thrown everything away inside her old enclosure and ordered .

I pray she does pull through!

Thank you so much for your replies and support , I’m truly thankful.
‘Molts’

Latest posts