Choeradodis rhombicollis in heavy premolt for a week?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Of course all my issues happen with this breeding pair lol. Thank you for all the kind messages on my last post. But anyway, my female c. rhombicollis has been in a molting position for about 7 days.
She doesn't move except for pumping her abdomen. I feel like I should do something but I'm not sure. I'm misting her daily through her mesh enclosure, but otherwise not touching her at all.
I can attach pictures as needed.

Of course all my issues happen with this breeding pair lol. Thank you for all the kind messages on my last post. But anyway, my female c. rhombicollis has been in a molting position for about 7 days.
She doesn't move except for pumping her abdomen. I feel like I should do something but I'm not sure. I'm misting her daily through her mesh enclosure, but otherwise not touching her at all.
I can attach pictures as needed.
Hold on. She just fell. She didn't hit the bottom but she was stuck to the side of her enclosure. I took a closer look at her and something is wrong. I moved her to a smaller cup so if she falls again it won't be fatal. Here's pictures of her current state. (Excuse my messy room I am depressed lol)

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_120709489.jpg
    PXL_20230929_120709489.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230929_120717635.jpg
    PXL_20230929_120717635.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I *just* misted her. She's normally not that wet. I would hope she's not starving, I didn't try to feed her though due to the premolt thing.. should I do that when I get back home?
Ugh it might be to late for her but I would still try. is she really weak? did you try to hang her back up?

They get really weak before a molt so that’s normal. But she did look on the skinny side so prob why she fell thats my guess and the abdomen pumping a lot means she is getting ready to molt! I hope she makes it.

She would not eat in that state, hopefully she can molt without getting stuck.

I would be careful to not over do misting with the Choeradodis. I have not raised this species before, and I have read that Choeradodis are from a humid climate. But I have misted my Carolina mantises once a day before, and that caused them to consistently mis-molt, until someone told me to stop misting them so often which worked well to stop them from mis-molting! I have high humidity though here in North Carolina. It is about 70 to 80 percent humidity in the house. I don't even mist my Orchid mantises, and they molt fine! I make sure to feed my Orchid mantises regularly enough to make sure they get enough moisture from their food instead of having to mist them for them to drink because I have had problems with my Orchid mantises getting sick and dying from drinking water. Once I stopped misting my Orchid mantises they did a lot better.

I would be careful to not over do misting with the Choeradodis. I have not raised this species before, and I have read that Choeradodis are from a humid climate. But I have misted my Carolina mantises once a day before, and that caused them to consistently mis-molt, until someone told me to stop misting them so often which worked well to stop them from mis-molting! I have high humidity though here in North Carolina. It is about 70 to 80 percent humidity in the house. I don't even mist my Orchid mantises, and they molt fine! I make sure to feed my Orchid mantises regularly enough to make sure they get enough moisture from their food instead of having to mist them for them to drink because I have had problems with my Orchid mantises getting sick and dying from drinking water. Once I stopped misting my Orchid mantises they did a lot better.
This is fascinating advice, thank you. She ended up passing, but I can learn from my mistakes

Latest posts