Enclosure Progress!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex

Reaction score
1705513350903.png

Enclosure is coming along!

So far, I have the substrate in (used leca for the false bottom), most of the background, and a lovely piece of driftwood that I thought wasn't too tall or obstructive. I glued some plastic mesh to the top so that my little ghostie will have something to hang from when it molts.

I have some sphagnum moss arriving hopefully tomorrow, which I'll use to spruce up the background (cover those uneven edges and gaps) which should also hold humidity. I have the monitor in there- right now, before misting and without any moss, its sitting at about 37%. I know Ghost Mantids don't have any crazy humidity needs, so I've put it somewhere in the apartment that tends to be pretty dry (not my bedroom where the plants are) and I'll test it out with misting and moss before I go ordering my new pet.

I've never made an enclosure for a mantis before, but I'm really enjoying it! The research and putting this together has been really, really fun!

It looks really cool! I bet that your mantis will like climbing on the background wood. I've got the same enclosure base (Zilla habitat?) and it's a really nice cage.

It looks really cool! I bet that your mantis will like climbing on the background wood. I've got the same enclosure base (Zilla habitat?) and it's a really nice cage.
Yep- it's the Zilla micro habitat, the vertical large one. It was easy to put together and fits on my shelf- I really like it. I can't wait until it's finished and the weather warms up so I can see what it looks like with a mantis in it!

That looks like an excellent design. The ghost I had last year seemed innately drawn to bark, probably to help its camouflage.
Oh I'm so glad to hear that! I'm thinking about maybe adding in some plant cuttings as well- not too much, but maybe something like a peperomia cutting or some hoyas, since those do well in my apartment. I can't wait to actually get my mantis!

View attachment 21602

Enclosure is coming along!

So far, I have the substrate in (used leca for the false bottom), most of the background, and a lovely piece of driftwood that I thought wasn't too tall or obstructive. I glued some plastic mesh to the top so that my little ghostie will have something to hang from when it molts.

I have some sphagnum moss arriving hopefully tomorrow, which I'll use to spruce up the background (cover those uneven edges and gaps) which should also hold humidity. I have the monitor in there- right now, before misting and without any moss, its sitting at about 37%. I know Ghost Mantids don't have any crazy humidity needs, so I've put it somewhere in the apartment that tends to be pretty dry (not my bedroom where the plants are) and I'll test it out with misting and moss before I go ordering my new pet.

I've never made an enclosure for a mantis before, but I'm really enjoying it! The research and putting this together has been really, really fun!
I’ve found it fun too the actual setting up part haha thought I was the only one! I told me daughter they could do a “pimp my mantids home” show and us mantid fans would watch it for tips haha

Latest posts