European Mantis Care.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisTrainer

Reaction score
I posted about this a little while back but didn't get any replies, that was probably my fault for asking so many questions so I will be brief.
1. I have a wild-found Mantis religiosa ootheca in the fridge that I collected in October, I plan to hatch it around April or May. currently, the only care I am providing it with is a slightly moist paper towel to keep the eggs hydrated. Is there any additional care I should provide it with while it is in the fridge?
2. If the ootheca hatches, I plan to keep one or more but I've heard that this species is prone to dieoffs and can be difficult to care for as nymphs. I am relatively new to this hobby and this will be my second time raising mantids from hatchlings(my first mantids are a couple of Tenodera sinensis which probably wasn't the best option for a first-timer). Is there anything specific I can do to prevent any possible dieoffs or, in general, successfully raise this species?
Thanks in advance.

1. just be sure the paper towel stays slightly moist
2: The best success I had with rearing these was to put a small number of nymphs in a large net cage with a living plant. gut-load your fruit flies and mist the nymphs regularly. there's a quite high die-off with these

2: The best success I had with rearing these was to put a small number of nymphs in a large net cage with a living plant. gut-load your fruit flies and mist the nymphs regularly. there's a quite high die-off with these
besides the live plant, do I need to add any substrate? I know that the survival rate usually gets better as nymphs get older, is that the case with this species?

besides the live plant, do I need to add any substrate? I know that the survival rate usually gets better as nymphs get older, is that the case with this species?
I'd recommend a thin layer of moist vermiculite or something, but be aware that without standing water misted over the surfaces for the nymphs to drink from, they'll rapidly dehydrate and die

How many of them have you got from one ootheca?

I think I just have a couple more questions.
Is it okay to add fake perches as well? Just in case they don't have enough hiding places.
Would you recommend any specific type of plant to use, or does any live plant work?
Thank you so much, your advice has been really helpful!

Is it okay to add fake perches as well? Just in case they don't have enough hiding places.
Would you recommend any specific type of plant to use, or does any live plant work?
Most people use bits of screen or dried plant material. Live plants would be difficult.

yes
any live vascular plant works

Latest posts