Hello all

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to keeping mantis, I've got 2, a giant African and a Vietnamese ghost
Had the african for a few weeks but only got the other this week and I'm wondering if theres a big difference between these in terms of feeding, the african is eating locust with no problem 2 times a week but I havnt managed to get the other to eat anything so far.
I'm also spraying them every other day and my humidity is generally between 70 -80% is this suitable for both species?
Any other tips would be appreciated

Hi all I'm new to keeping mantis, I've got 2, a giant African and a Vietnamese ghost
Had the african for a few weeks but only got the other this week and I'm wondering if theres a big difference between these in terms of feeding, the african is eating locust with no problem 2 times a week but I havnt managed to get the other to eat anything so far.
I'm also spraying them every other day and my humidity is generally between 70 -80% is this suitable for both species?
Any other tips would be appreciated
Is your darth Vader a male or female?

Hey! I'm pretty new to it as well, and I found these careguides online for your species. I think the humidity is pretty high for both
Thanks for the link I hadnt seen those, it is high but I'm having trouble getting it any lower, I've tried dry substrate, added a ton of ventilation holes (160 🤣) and I also tried reducing misting but they got very thirsty when I did that
Is your darth Vader a male or female?
She is female

Attachments

• 20230902_154017.jpg
    20230902_154017.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230902_154034.jpg
    20230902_154034.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the link I hadnt seen those, it is high but I'm having trouble getting it any lower, I've tried dry substrate, added a ton of ventilation holes (160 🤣) and I also tried reducing misting but they got very thirsty when I did that

She is female
I have a female and a male of this species. They are picky eaters. Do you have any roaches? The females seem to like that a lot. Or even super worms. you need to cut the food in half and either put it on a toothpick or get tweezers and put the prey in front of her face and if she doesn’t take it after a few minutes you can smear the guts on her mouth and she should grab the food.

Last edited:

She is female
Did you try giving her blue bottle flies or house flies yet? do this before offering her the roaches or super worm.

Did you try giving her blue bottle flies or house flies yet? do this before offering her the roaches or super worm.
I've only got small locust so far as that's what the shop recommended for her, she has had one this morning, so that's a relief, I'll have a look into what other foods I can get hold of locally too

She is female
Parablepharis prefer terrestrial feeders: locusts, roaches… etc. if the feeders can climb walls to get near her, then she will be fine. They are ambush predators, so she likely wont move very far to grab prey. I would just throw some roaches in with her, and let her grab them.

Parablepharis prefer terrestrial feeders: locusts, roaches… etc. if the feeders can climb walls to get near her, then she will be fine. They are ambush predators, so she likely wont move very far to grab prey. I would just throw some roaches in with her, and let her grab them.
Thanks, she has eaten again today, I just put it near ish to her and let her do her thing so all seems good now

Thanks, she has eaten again today, I just put it near ish to her and let her do her thing so all seems good now
Ya. If you give them the type of food they normally eat, then they generally will eat. I think I get how you’re feeling though. You want them to eat and grow and live a good life. They will. Sometimes they’ll eat at their own pace. They have for a very long time. Haha.

Ya. If you give them the type of food they normally eat, then they generally will eat. I think I get how you’re feeling though. You want them to eat and grow and live a good life. They will. Sometimes they’ll eat at their own pace. They have for a very long time. Haha.
Thanks your right, my african is a very good eater food doesnt last long around her but the darth vader seems to be much more of a I'll eat when I'm ready so I've just got to get used to the little differences I think.

Thanks your right, my african is a very good eater food doesnt last long around her but the darth vader seems to be much more of a I'll eat when I'm ready so I've just got to get used to the little differences I think.
Yeah. They’re both very different. Your African is an aggressive mantis, while your parablepharis is a “wait and snack” mantis.
They’re both very fun.

Latest posts