How to get male Parablepharis to mount female?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy1892

Reaction score
Hello. My two adult males that have been adult for over a month did not show interest when I put them in front of a female that is about a month old. I only tried once. The female laid a dud ootheca last night. Is this species hard to pair?

Let me know if you find anything out about this species breeding because I’m gonna be doing mine next. Just waiting a few more weeks for the female to start calling but my male is a pain in the butt.

Let me know if you find anything out about this species breeding because I’m gonna be doing mine next. Just waiting a few more weeks for the female to start calling but my male is a pain in the butt.
Okay, I will. I had one male starve because I didn't feed him regularly. They sometimes don't eat well like the Ghost mantis males, but even harder. But sometimes they eat well. Moths are good for stimulating them to eat I've found.

Don't let the mantis starve to keep it for females. It's like being in a prison camp, when you get the chance to escape, your to weak to leave. Feed them as you do females, just not as much. I just showed you keeping the male orchid well fed and warm they lived almost 8 months. God knows what He is doing although we do not.

Now saying that, the best way to mate the budwing or any other mantis in my opinion is to give her something new to eat, be it super worm pupae or whatever and put the male right on her back. I have done this with 4 different females and one male over the last 2 weeks and it worked each time. She gives him a look and tries, but I keep my forceps there to keep her away and in seconds she goes back to eating. I might take video of last female today for you guys, so stay tuned.

Don't let the mantis starve to keep it for females. It's like being in a prison camp, when you get the chance to escape, your to weak to leave. Feed them as you do females, just not as much. I just showed you keeping the male orchid well fed and warm they lived almost 8 months. God knows what He is doing although we do not.
Yes, I am now making sure to feed them regularly. I was too lazy to feed them as often as they needed. Like male Ghost mantises, they don't eat much at any time. The Parablepharis males are eating the moths okay every couple days. This species seems especially hard to keep the males feed enough.

have you tried keeping the male in a different room for a few days?
Yes, I am keeping the males in a different room. But the female has lost her appetite recently, so I cannot pair her right now. I am not sure why she isn't eating well. Maybe it is to guard the ootheca? I hope this species isn't too hard to raise.

I have the video, if it wont load due to room then I will put on my facebook page. They are already connected after about 3 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_130440411.jpg
    IMG_20230828_130440411.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts