Laying Ooth care

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firenkyo

Reaction score
Hello! I haven't bred my ghost mantis, and she's laying an unfertilized ooth. I wasn't able to find much on what to do/not to do when mantises are laying ooths, so I thought I'd say what's happening here and see if there's anything I need to do.
I noticed Cilantro laying an egg yesterday, but I think she got disturbed by me sitting at my desk (it's right by her enclosure) and stopped. I went to go to the store and when I came back she was in a different spot and hadn't laid any more eggs. I covered her enclosure partially with some fabric so she couldn't see me and get freaked out again. I moved the fabric today to mist her, and she was still in another spot with no more eggs/ooth casing. She's very plump still, so I know she's got more in her. Should I just keep the enclosure covered and mist daily to keep up humidity until she finishes? Or should I try to feed her if it takes longer than a few days?
1708394742788.png
1708394759741.png

She still hasn't laid anything, and she is VERY grumpy. I've been checking on her about twice a day to mist the enclosure, I think I'll try to give her a fly tomorrow to see if she'll take it

I would say feed her a bottle fly like you said and see if she takes it. When a mantis is laying an ooth, whether it is fertile or not, the best thing to do is let her be. Try not to disturb her while she is laying the ooth. She may wait a little to lay more of the ooth. I just noticed this post was from last Wednesday. Did she lay any more of the ooth?

I would say feed her a bottle fly like you said and see if she takes it. When a mantis is laying an ooth, whether it is fertile or not, the best thing to do is let her be. Try not to disturb her while she is laying the ooth. She may wait a little to lay more of the ooth. I just noticed this post was from last Wednesday. Did she lay any more of the ooth?
She didn't lay any more! She just kinda wandered her whole enclosure up and down a couple times and seemed to be eyeing the cleanup isopods. I offered her a few houseflies and she devoured them. I've still noticed her flexing her abdomen a bit but I haven't seen any more ooth progress

Latest posts