Sister got a new mantis today, can someone help me with the enclosure?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've taken care of mantises before so I usually know what I'm doing. However, my sister got a mantis today and it's a lot smaller than I anything I've got, so I was wondering if anyone could take a look at the cup we've got it in and tell us if it's okay. I'm pretty certain that it's too small, so if it is, does anyone have any ideas about what we could get that's appropriate size?

There's paper towel up there because the top is too smooth for it to climb onto. Any help is greatly appreciated! I currently have an extra 32 oz fruit fly cup, but I'm not sure if that's too big or not. 

Emily mantis.jpg

Thank you, I was planning on something like that but it's nice to get another opinion. Do you have any ideas on how to allow the mantis to hang from the top?
for the best results, you need either a special cup made for this that's vented with fabric or mesh on the top, or just hot glue some mesh on the top manually. A paper towel should work... But i've had some bad experiences with it. A lot of places that sell mantids will have 32oz cups with vented lids. I use 32oz for all small sizes up to 2 inches, but if you want to decorate then do something small so they can find the prey.

for the best results, you need either a special cup made for this that's vented with fabric or mesh on the top, or just hot glue some mesh on the top manually. A paper towel should work... But i've had some bad experiences with it. A lot of places that sell mantids will have 32oz cups with vented lids. I use 32oz for all small sizes up to 2 inches, but if you want to decorate then do something small so they can find the prey.
I’m using paper towel for the mantis currently, is that bad? I got the cups specifically made for mantises for the bigger ones but I doubt the guy I got them from has small ones

I’m using paper towel for the mantis currently, is that bad? I got the cups specifically made for mantises for the bigger ones but I doubt the guy I got them from has small ones
I haven't tried paper towels as a molting spot since a while ago when I first started. I just remember not doing so good with it. I would ask someone else about the paper towel thing. I think they are fine for small light weight mantids.

I use paper towels as tops all the time without any problems. Paper towels are good for small/nymph mantises so the fruit flies don't get out like they can with mesh. At least in my experiences.

I put a 32 oz filled with coco husk (dont get the brick; too much work) and I've recently (today) started experimenting with sphagnum moss for moisture during these dry months upcoming. Anyway some stick and stuff and your good. Here's an idea:

20201120_195424.jpg

Latest posts