Tips for lowering humidity?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klau01

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a giant asian mantis, and I'm worried about the humidity levels. My house is usually around 61%-64% humidity, and I know this species do the best at 40%-60% and can die if the humidity is too high. I'm gonna be keeping it in an all mesh enclosure so ventilation shouldn't be a huge problem. I'm unsure if I should even bother misting the enclosure given the humidity level my room is, but I know the mantis will still need to drink.... however, misting the enclosure will just raise the humidity even more. Are there any simple solutions to this? Or should I cut my losses and go with a different mantis?

Air humidity really isn't much of a factor unless it is for molting. It is usually about how hydrated the mantis is. I had a big hatch of giant Asians and they are always thirsty and love being misted. If you really are concerned you could go with a different mantis, like a ghost or a sphodromantis but you should be fine.

I'm planning on getting a giant asian mantis, and I'm worried about the humidity levels. My house is usually around 61%-64% humidity, and I know this species do the best at 40%-60% and can die if the humidity is too high.
it will be very well ventilated in a mesh. I wouldnt worry about it.

Put a plant in the mesh cube and simply spray water on the leaves near it for drink. Forget substrate.

Feed high moisture content snacks before an upcoming molt, like waxworms.

it will be very well ventilated in a mesh. I wouldnt worry about it.

Put a plant in the mesh cube and simply spray water on the leaves near it for drink. Forget substrate.
I was planning on getting one of those cylindrical net cages for when it's small, would a 12 x 12 mesh cube be too big for it as a nymph??

Latest posts