Will it hatch?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisTrainer

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My un-mated female Tenodera sinensis just laid a surprise ootheca yesterday, I plan to remove it from her enclosure later today. I know some species of mantis such as the Brunner's stick mantis can reproduce without mating but I don't know if Chinese mantises are able to do the same. I'm guessing it's infertile because it's a little malformed-rectangular and globby as opposed to the usual barrel shape that this species normally produces, but I want to be sure because I don't have the space nor the resources to care for a bunch of nymphs right now.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. My un-mated female Tenodera sinensis just laid a surprise ootheca yesterday, I plan to remove it from her enclosure later today. I know some species of mantis such as the Brunner's stick mantis can reproduce without mating but I don't know if Chinese mantises are able to do the same. I'm guessing it's infertile because it's a little malformed-rectangular and globby as opposed to the usual barrel shape that this species normally produces, but I want to be sure because I don't have the space nor the resources to care for a bunch of nymphs right now.
Chinese mantises cannot reproduce without mating. So the ootheca is most likely infertile and will never hatch. Some mantises can produce clones (that is parthenogenetically) but I don't think Chinese do. So the ooth is most likely safe to remove and will not hatch.

Latest posts