How Do You Care for a Woolly Bear Cocoon

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
My younger brother and I found a woolly bear caterpillar in the woods, and we decided to keep it. We fed it apple slices, and, after a month, it wove itself a cocoon. I moved the cocoon to my empty Kritter Keeper which I usually keep my mantids in, and balanced it on a fake ivy leaf.

Here are my questions:

1. How long do I have to wait until the tiger moth emerges?

2. Do I need to mist it like a mantis ooth?

3. Anything else I should be doing?

Put it outside in a garage, but first you need to add a substrate like eco earth. Mist it once a week but not directly on the cocoon. It should hatch in spring when it gets warmer. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it eat the apple slices? I always put in random handfuls of grass and leaves. If they don't have food they like, they often pupate anyway if they were within a few weeks of doing so at the time of collection.

I have this kids' book about insects and fun projects that you can do that involve insects. One project was to raise a woolly bear,and it said to feed it apples. Both times that I have raised woolly bears, I have fed them apples, and I have seen them eat it.

That makes sense then

Too bad my neighbor cut down her crabapple, now wat am I gonna feed next year's cecropias? The leaves of her cherry tree r going to my ios lol

And hickory r going to the lunas, unless my cecropia cocoon is male in which case I don't have to worry, my io is female because I saw the antenna details because the head end of the cocoon was ripped when I got it

Anyways we find tons of wolly bears under our hostas each fall