Tenodera sinensis vs. Tenodera angustipennis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Figured some may be curious of the differences between chinese and narrow wing mantids. In the field I could tell at a glance by the size of the head. After seeing enough of them this was an easy way to tell them apart before catching them. The chinese were mostly around 11 cm with the narrow wing closer to 9 cm.

Ooths. Chinese on left:

DSCF7196-1.jpg

DSCF7197-1.jpg

Chinese on right. Note difference in color between front legs.

PA030072.jpg

Note difference in size of head. Chinese is the larger:

PA030076.jpg

Wings:

PA030081.jpg

PA030086.jpg

As far as the males go the sizes are very close. The spot between the front legs and the flying wings are a sure way to tell them apart. Sorry I don't have a better pic of the male:

PA010051.jpg

Great comparison photos! I'm surprised your male narrow-winged was as large as your chinese. The few narrow-wiged males i have caught around here were much smaller than the chinese males.

Great comparison photos! I'm surprised your male narrow-winged was as large as your chinese. The few narrow-wiged males i have caught around here were much smaller than the chinese males.
I found two NW males and two chinese males. They were about the same size. I had to catch them and turn them over to be sure which they were.

Thanks for sharing Rick. Good work! Both Chinese mantis and the narrow wing at your place must have been well fed! both have great size and are the giant among insect world.

+1 to everyone above. Good thing that you showed both species that were the same size. Even though the Chinese may grow larger, you showed that size should not be used as a species indicator (if anyone does that) and that other physical traits like the wings should be used instead.

Latest posts