Cool Peruvian Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny1st

Reaction score
Found this video on YouTube. It's a Peruvian Shield Mantis. The guy's channel is Neotropical Mantis. I assume it is wild caught so that's why its aggressive what do you guys think. It's cool looking thoggh. Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet

It's not working so here's the link to the video.

Edit: I searched for it and found the same video on here. Woops. Oh well there it is again

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say it is aggressive because it is wild caught, but because the person is harassing/scaring it repeatedly with their fingers to get it to threat pose.

Pretty mantid, too bad the the type of person who captured it though.

Indeed constantly poking it's head and shield, and moving their fingers in front like that to agitate the poor mantis. Wow what a bully, let me guess he likes to flip it with his fingers in a another video too, arrange a "fight" with a spider or reptile, or step on it? Too bad animal cruelty laws don't exist for some insects...

Now that you mention it it it is kind of cruel to stress it out like that. And that's good to know precarious, won't be buying from him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty mantid, too bad the the type of person who captured it though.

Indeed constantly poking it's head and shield, and moving their fingers in front like that to agitate the poor mantis. Wow what a bully, let me guess he likes to flip it with his fingers in a another video too, arrange a "fight" with a spider or reptile, or step on it? Too bad animal cruelty laws don't exist for some insects...
He would not put it into a fight. he loves mantids and choeradodis is his baby that is what he tells me... That doesnt mean he hasnt scammed people. I speak to him a lot and he knows of his reputation. He is nice when u get to know him and I have friends in peru that also know him. I also know someone who works with project mantodea that is friends with him. I think that is a bit judgmental to say he would enjoy being cruel to mantids and I do not believe getting mantids to do a threat pose is cruel.

He would not put it into a fight. he loves mantids and choeradodis is his baby that is what he tells me... That doesnt mean he hasnt scammed people. I speak to him a lot and he knows of his reputation. He is nice when u get to know him and I have friends in peru that also know him. I also know someone who works with project mantodea that is friends with him. I think that is a bit judgmental to say he would enjoy being cruel to mantids and I do not believe getting mantids to do a threat pose is cruel.
Well glad to see he treats it like a baby, so I recant my opinion, perhaps it was a bit harsh. For me however I feel it is a bit much though. Kind of like playing rough with a dog to get it to bite in response, usually ends with someone getting hurt.

Not sure about his reputation as a trader, so no opinion there.

Well glad to see he treats it like a baby, so I recant my opinion, perhaps it was a bit harsh. For me however I feel it is a bit much though. Kind of like playing rough with a dog to get it to bite in response, usually ends with someone getting hurt.

Not sure about his reputation as a trader, so no opinion there.
hahahaha i did not mean he treats babies like that

this is not harassing it he is just making it show its threat display
Definitions of harass (1) : to annoy persistently (2) : to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct

I'm well aware that he was trying to get the mantis to threat pose and strike. My comment was that judging this mantis to be wild caught merely because it was acting naturally aggressive to a perceived threat was a big jump. I've seen people elicit the same behavior from constantly jabbing their captive bred mantises and doing things like poking them in the head. I don't care for videos like this. I don't see why there needed to be 1:27 minutes of some guy jabbing at a his mantis, grabbing its claws, when we saw the initial threat pose in the first 10 seconds of the video.

Meanwhile, someone like Precarious manages to capture a lovely threat display on film with one poke, and some extra editing to make sure the viewers could get a second look/listen to the sound created.

Latest posts