So...how do I start breeding blue bottle flies?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadow98684

Reaction score
It'd be a lot cheaper to just start raising them myself. So...how do I start? Any thing I need to know before I get starterd? (I left some sliced ham outside today in an open jar, hopefully thats good.

No need imo( breeding), what i used to do was leave raw chicken outside, go back next day and collect the spikes

Then let those spikes pupate and bam!

The reason i say no need is also because their breeding needs smell AWFUL

Just a suggestion :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ShieldMantid1997: When you go to collect the larvae or spikes from the chicken, where are the spikes? Are they crawling all over the outside of the chicken?

$1.09 a can where I shop and I start with 10-15 chunks for laying. Once eggs are laid and hatch I add more when the maggots make the chunky turn mushy.

Hehe I forgot to put that I added a little catfood and some milk with that ham...tripple wammy! So what do the eggs look like and where will they be so I know if I'm succesful? Thanks for ther answers guys, much appreciated.

The eggs will be a mass of white or cream color on the food. I'll post what mine look like today.

This is a newer batch with fresh eggs circled (if photobucket updated...)and you can see small maggots around the chunky food.

DSCN3688.jpg

And this is another batch slightly older, but you can see the bigger maggots, no eggs, and the chunky is getting mushy.

DSCN3689.jpg

The eggs will be a mass of white or cream color on the food. I'll post what mine look like today.

This is a newer batch with fresh eggs circled (if photobucket updated...)and you can see small maggots around the chunky food.

DSCN3688.jpg

And this is another batch slightly older, but you can see the bigger maggots, no eggs, and the chunky is getting mushy.

DSCN3689.jpg

looks like my toilet after i take a :poop: :poop: :clown: :clown: :tt2: :tt2:

i'm not karen :lol:
Never mind. You're probably too young to have heard of the Carpenters. Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down? She died from anorexia and was rumored to have abused laxatives to help with weight loss. She is world famous and from my hometown of Downey. I probably even sat in some of the same classrooms she did, as we both attended Downey High. At different times, of course.

Never mind. You're probably too young to have heard of the Carpenters. Rainy Days and Mondays Get Me Down? She died from anorexia and was rumored to have abused laxatives to help with weight loss. She is world famous and from my hometown of Downey. I probably even sat in some of the same classrooms she did, as we both attended Downey High. At different times, of course.
unlike u i am gonna be 16 tomorrow, not 61 :tt2:

great idea

I have been trying to save money on flies also, I never thought about catching them lol

thanks!

thanks for the pics too, very helpful!

One question, how do you put up with the smell? Do you keep them outside, will the heat(85-95) kill them if left in the shade? I want to raise my own but last time I tried the smell put a abrupt halt to it all! :pinch: It was the real "death warmed over" scent, one worst smells I ever experianced... I used canned pet food in a deli.

Latest posts