Native mantis list for US

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungryGhost

Reaction score
Does any one have a link or a list of all of the native mantids of the lower 48 states? Thanks.

I've seen a discussion before and there are some pages around with lists for different states but I tried a search on this forum using a few different keywords and came up with a ton of unrelated threads. If you know a topic has been covered and a new person asks again, it would be nice to give a link to the thread (unless the same question has been posted three lines down). As for the answer I haven't seen any really great lists on the net yet. The list I put together for KTPM using various descriptions has a number of interesting species documented but some are of uncertain status.

I've seen a discussion before and there are some pages around with lists for different states but I tried a search on this forum using a few different keywords and came up with a ton of unrelated threads. If you know a topic has been covered and a new person asks again, it would be nice to give a link to the thread (unless the same question has been posted three lines down). As for the answer I haven't seen any really great lists on the net yet. The list I put together for KTPM using various descriptions has a number of interesting species documented but some are of uncertain status.
Thanks for the input. I'm not having much luck with forum searches or internet searches either. It seems odd that with the relatively few species in the lower 48 states that there isn't a concise list on the web anywhere. Maybe a project to work on this winter.

Yersiniops sp

Tenodera sp

Mantis religiosa

Stagmomantis sp

Gonatista grisea

Brunneria borealis

Theosprotia graminis

Litaneutria sp

Phyllovates sp

Pseudovates sp

Iris oratoria

Oligonicella scudderi

Find the missing ones! :cowboy:

Mantoida maya ... Little Yucatan Mantis ...I don't think they've ever been in culture, but native to Florida... (never seen one)...but its native to US...

;) :p

I just read you can find adults in Florida from june to september .Was also called Callimantis floridana scudder.

Yersiniops sp

Tenodera sp

Mantis religiosa

Stagmomantis sp

Gonatista grisea

Brunneria borealis

Theosprotia graminis

Litaneutria sp

Phyllovates sp

Pseudovates sp

Iris oratoria

Oligonicella scudderi

Find the missing ones! :cowboy:
Thanks for the great start! I notice Mantis Religiosa on the list which is naturalized but non-native and I was wondering if Tenders sp occurs as a native. Thanks again!

As others have said, there's a previous thread. But just for fun, I'll provide input to the above list for native species: get rid of Iris oratoria, Mantis religiosa, and Tenodera sp. and make sure the Stagmomantis sp. includes the carolina, floridensis, limbata, and californica.

Don't hold me to this list. I doubt it is 100% accurate.

Grass-Like Mantid (Thesprotia graminis)
Grizzled Mantid (Gonatista grisea)
Minor Ground Mantid (Litaneutria minor)
Narrow-Winged Mantis (Tenodera angustipennis)
Scudder’s Mantid (Oligonicella scudderi)
Texas Unicorn Mantid (Phyllovates chlorophaea)
Brunners/Stick mantis (Brunneria borealis)
Tenodora sinensis (Chinese mantis)
Pseudovates arizonae (Arizona unicorn mantis)
Iris oratoria (Mediterranean mantis)
Litaneutria minor (Minor ground mantis)
Litaneutria ocularis ?
Mantis religiosa (European mantis)
Mantoida maya (Little Yucatan mantis)
Oligonicella mexicana (Slim Mexican mantis)
stagmomantis spp
carolina (Johansson, 1763): southern States
californica Rehn & Hebard, 1909: California
floridensis Davis, 1919: Florida
gracilipes Rehn, 1907: Arizona (Pima County)
limbata (Hahn, 1835): Arizona, Texas -> may be a complex of two species
montana Saussure & Zehntner, 1894: occurrence in the US doubtful

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts