The Plan

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart89

Reaction score
Hello, I want to start a little colony of ghosts but wanted to check some things first.

I want to use an Exo-Terra 30cm (l) x 30cm (w) x 45cm (h) and make it really natural with foilage and branches etc.

My question is how many ghosts would be able to live in a tank of this size?

Would the 30cm (l) x 30cm (w) x 30cm (h) be a better tank?

Any issues apart from cannabilism that should be known?

Anyone with experience keeping ghosts in a colony for life? (pics of the set-ups would be appreciated aswell if possible)

I plan on setting this up after all of my current mantids have matured, giving me more experience and a clearer image of the size of adult ghosts (mine are L5 atm).

Any comments/ thoughts are welcome, even if they are not related to the questions!

Any comments/ thoughts are welcome, even if they are not related to the questions!
I like pie :p

I have not had ghost's, but you left it open for me to comment ... hehehe

I am sure someone will have an answer for you though.

Hello, I want to start a little colony of ghosts but wanted to check some things first.I want to use an Exo-Terra 30cm (l) x 30cm (w) x 45cm (h) and make it really natural with foilage and branches etc.

My question is how many ghosts would be able to live in a tank of this size?

Would the 30cm (l) x 30cm (w) x 30cm (h) be a better tank?

Any issues apart from cannabilism that should be known?

Anyone with experience keeping ghosts in a colony for life? (pics of the set-ups would be appreciated aswell if possible)

I plan on setting this up after all of my current mantids have matured, giving me more experience and a clearer image of the size of adult ghosts (mine are L5 atm).

I'm keeping 2 adult pairs in an Exo-Terra terrarium, 30x30x45 :) No cannibalism so far (they've been together since L5 there). Put lots of flies in it and they'll be fine :D

i have had 12 ghsots in 1 ft x 1ft cage from 1st instar to now which is 3rd instar..they get on fine,

Lol, I do to. And ice cream and cake and donuts and candy and sugar and ............

I remember someone posted a topic about their enclosure. He had a HUGE number of ghosts in that tank. It was pretty cool.

I am keeping a large number, (number unknown) in the large cave I have on my site, I can take pic this weekend, they are ok as long as plenty of food is there, otherwise I notice some are missing, They will eat each other so it is risky, other than that they are fine, at least 15 are in it!

iv had 12 in a 1ftx1ft cage form 1st instar,,,there all now 5th instar and i still have 12..they get on fine.

With my breeding stock way back i wanted to keep them all together so got a massive flexarium thing, just a massive net cage really, think it was 3 feet high, crammed it with foilage always gave them food and they ripped each other apart untill there was no males left, then the female had a go with each other so i had 1 left, when the lone female laid an ooth i again tried to keep them together, i know have 1 pre sub adult female :)

In other words i`ll never keep them together again :)

Sounds like your tank was a bit too big imo, 3ft for a 5cm mantis at adult they probably never found food :(

Well I smell some fixed bidding on ebay, some "unknown" bidder went from 99p to £10 in 1 bid. Who does that?

So the plan is on hold, I still am going to do it when my ghosts reach maturity and hopefully produce a fertile ooth!

Thanks for the replies though, will be interesting :lol:

Latest posts