Went mantis hunting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Went to a place I found while fishing hoping to see some mantids. I really hoped to find a brunners mantis for bugfest but not really expecting to actually find one as I never have before. Turns out I found three and one carolina female. Didn't see a single chinese which I found odd. This place has so many insects.

mantids543.jpg

mantids544.jpg

mantids545.jpg

mantids546.jpg

mantids547.jpg

mantids548.jpg

mantids549.jpg

mantids550.jpg

mantids551.jpg

Can you see the brunners? They have exellent camo.

mantids552.jpg

mantids553.jpg

mantids556.jpg

mantids554.jpg

Carolina female

mantids559.jpg

mantids560.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! This motivates me to go on a bug hunt!

Did you just look and pick by eye? What do you carry with you to store them in?

Wow! This motivates me to go on a bug hunt!Did you just look and pick by eye? What do you carry with you to store them in?
Yep. Been doing it for years and have quite an eye for them. I just take some deli cups out with me.

I have a poor eye for them. I can see the ones in the pictures, but chances are that I would skip right over them in the wild. I wonder how many of them I've missed. :rolleyes:

Great finds! Where in NC were you when hunting? I've only managed to find brunners in Johnston county. <_< Never even seen a narrow winged mantid lol.

You are so lucky that you live where you can just go outside and find all the native species of mantid to NC. ;)

Great finds! Where in NC were you when hunting? I've only managed to find brunners in Johnston county. <_< Never even seen a narrow winged mantid lol. You are so lucky that you live where you can just go outside and find all the native species of mantid to NC. ;)
Pitt County is where this is right next to the tar river. It is about a five mile drive. The narrow wings are around my work and I still need to catch a pair. We had a brunners at last years bugfest that was found on the outer banks. I had heard they were inland as well but had never found one until yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the brunners molted to adult today. Expect ooths in the classifieds soon. ;)

Didn't see this post earlier. Nice fine Rick!! This species always appear to group up in close proximity so if you see one there is a good chance you will find more within 100 sq. ft area. If you sweep the area with butterfly net slowly across the tal grass sometimes a stick mantis will hang on to the net. The place I last found B. borealis is a town 30 miles away from Houston called Baytown. To make this short, i want one ooth when you have one ;) Please keep in touch!

Latest posts