Mantis Hunt in Southern Taiwan at November 12th, 2008

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglewarrior

Reaction score
Many of mantids here appear in all seasons. Although it's November now, it's still warm in Kaohsiung. I decided to go out for a mantis hunt, to collect some Mantis religiosa individuals.

A L1 M. religiosa nymph appeared immediately.

3029088474_3238e81ca3_m.jpg

An adult female soon appeared, too.

3029088754_8b29fe3c13_m.jpg

Then an adult male.

3028252755_e3647cc47c_m.jpg

A large Tenodera aridifolia ootheca.

3028253125_aceb827e65_m.jpg

A M. religiosa ooth and a parasitoid wasp adult female was on it.

3028253975_c7d9bbb2da_m.jpg

Tenodera aridifolia L6 nymph.

3029091192_f4e4d19d94_m.jpg

Tenodera superstitiosa adult female. This specie is uncommon in Taiwan.

3028254339_575a091edc_m.jpg

The grass of their habitat.

3029091512_6e74570c6a_m.jpg

Although it's November now, it's still lifeful outside.

eaglewarrior,

Thank you! The pictures are great. Do you have larger versions that can be accessed from another site?

This pretty much kills the idea that mantids are not a year round insect in Taiwan and that they follow annual or biannual seasons.

Scott

wOW, WHat an incredible adventure! I had a long and terrible day today and it was really refreshing and a pleasant escape to linger upon the photos of your most excellent adventure! Cheers!

Mantids can have an annual or biannual cycle even in tropical regions. They don't have to overwinter in the ootheca, though, but will do it as nymphs. Even if you find many instars troughout the year, they may have certain peaks when most specimens of a particular populations are adult. This is rather typical for many tropical taxa. People often think there aren't any cycles, but in most cases there are.

T. superstitiosa doesn't occurr in Taiwan. I cannot tell which species this was, though, without having specimens of both species before me.

In some studies, that also in coherent with many independent observation, the mantis here in Taiwan heavily rely on the food supply to survive over the winter. Breeding cycles not that apparent as it seems.

Mantids can have an annual or biannual cycle even in tropical regions. They don't have to overwinter in the ootheca, though, but will do it as nymphs. Even if you find many instars troughout the year, they may have certain peaks when most specimens of a particular populations are adult. This is rather typical for many tropical taxa. People often think there aren't any cycles, but in most cases there are.T. superstitiosa doesn't occurr in Taiwan. I cannot tell which species this was, though, without having specimens of both species before me.
PB180031.JPG

Christian, can this photo help you to identify it?

By the way, can you send me a T. superstitiosa photo to me? Thank you very much.

That species cannot be identified from a photo, as important diagnostic characters are to be examined closely from a specimen. It superficially resembles T. superstitiosa in being elongate, however, T. superstitiosa is still larger and has a broader pronotum. It only occurs in Africa. I don't own a photo of that species.