Went out today. Tons of pics.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Found quite a few carolina mantids, one brunners mantis, some ooths, and some other surprises. No carolina mantids anywhere here but under the bridges.

The area:

DSCF7045.jpg

DSCF7046.jpg

DSCF7047.jpg

DSCF7050.jpg

DSCF7051.jpg

Bird Grasshopper

DSCF7052.jpg

DSCF7057.jpg

DSCF7058.jpg

Spider egg sac. These were everywhere.

DSCF7059.jpg

DSCF7061.jpg

DSCF7063.jpg

DSCF7064.jpg

DSCF7065.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First mantis. Female carolina:

DSCF7055.jpg

caterpillar

DSCF7066.jpg

DSCF7074.jpg

Immature mantis. Odd this time of year. Found two of these.

DSCF7079.jpg

DSCF7080.jpg

DSCF7081.jpg

Hatched:

DSCF7094.jpg

Another one hatched:

DSCF7100.jpg

Peeking at me:

DSCF7101.jpg

DSCF7102.jpg

DSCF7103.jpg

Another female nearby:

DSCF7109.jpg

Green female:

DSCF7112.jpg

I spy a mantis butt:

DSCF7116.jpg

What happened here?!

DSCF7117.jpg

DSCF7120.jpg

See it? Not a mantis:

DSCF7121.jpg

DSCF7122.jpg

Smooth Green Snake! These are arboreal and eat insects:

DSCF7124.jpg

DSCF7125.jpg

DSCF7130.jpg

Ooth:

DSCF7129.jpg

Brunners mantis:

DSCF7132.jpg

DSCF7133.jpg

DSCF7134.jpg

Flowers in the middle of the open:

DSCF7135.jpg

Tree Frog:

DSCF7137.jpg

Another smooth green snake! These are hard to find let alone finding two in a day:

DSCF7138.jpg

DSCF7139.jpg

DSCF7140.jpg

Nice pics and nice watch! Hey in that first mantis pic I don't see the mantis, and I don't see the mantis butt. Also, that katydid that you saw on the bridge, was that the same one as the one in the spider web?

hey you found a green treefrog! Sorry bout this post but I didn't see the frog pic at first. My computer isn't really loading that fast. Anyway you're fnding mantids but here in CT it's getting cold! All my lunas are cocoons now.

hey you found a green treefrog! Sorry bout this post but I didn't see the frog pic at first. My computer isn't really loading that fast. Anyway you're fnding mantids but here in CT it's getting cold! All my lunas are cocoons now.
89 degrees here this week. Won't be cold for awhile. You see I am still finding immature mantids. That was not the same katydid that was on the pillar. I found probably 50 of those big spiders and probably twice that many of their giant egg sacs. You're blind if you don't see that female mantids butt.

Rick, nice pics, as for the green snakes, do you keep them? I find it very interesting that you said they're hard to find I've seen em everywhere on the east coast, and at specialty reptile stores they sell em for 5.99 each (even here in CO). Nonetheless very beautiful snakes. As for the brunners mantis, can you find em in CO? They're pretty cool lol.

I love the "peeking at me" photos!! :D I saw the butt.... and the black butted one, hmmm. Was it still alive, or did it seem on it's "last leg?" Just wondering with that degree of injury/sickness. And in the one pic, I believe I saw a walking stick. Nice pics. Looks like you had a good day! :)

I've got a series like this when I went mantid hunting recently... will have to post my pics also. ;)

Rick, nice pics, as for the green snakes, do you keep them? I find it very interesting that you said they're hard to find I've seen em everywhere on the east coast, and at specialty reptile stores they sell em for 5.99 each (even here in CO). Nonetheless very beautiful snakes. As for the brunners mantis, can you find em in CO? They're pretty cool lol.
I've only found one before. They are known to be hard to find since they live in trees. You may have found something else like a garter snake. No brunners in Co. They are found from NC on down. Florida and the southeast. Probably some in other southern states too I would imagine.

I love the "peeking at me" photos!! :D I saw the butt.... and the black butted one, hmmm. Was it still alive, or did it seem on it's "last leg?" Just wondering with that degree of injury/sickness. And in the one pic, I believe I saw a walking stick. Nice pics. Looks like you had a good day! :) I've got a series like this when I went mantid hunting recently... will have to post my pics also. ;)
It was dead but was still hanging in the foliage. Looked like something ripped its abdomen open. No walking sticks unless I took a pic of one and didn't even see it. There must be something else in the photo I was looking at. Which pic?

look at you all brave with 1000's of what looks like deadly spiders everywhere lol. After the 3rd one i woulda told myself, maybe this is a dangerous place to look lol, but not you ^_^ .

look at you all brave with 1000's of what looks like deadly spiders everywhere lol. After the 3rd one i woulda told myself, maybe this is a dangerous place to look lol, but not you ^_^ .
They were everywhere but they don't bother me.

No walking sticks unless I took a pic of one and didn't even see it. There must be something else in the photo I was looking at. Which pic?
This one... I was guessing a walking stick in the middle there.... that's the only thing I could possibly think or see that it might be. But now I think it's just a stem/stick. :rolleyes: So what was it?

Seeit.jpg

Latest posts