New Owner :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronologik

Reaction score
Hi guys, nice to meet you all.

I've just received my first mantis and I was wondering if somebody would be kind enough to answer a few questions for me?!

Firstly, is it normal for the mantis to go straight for the roof of the faunarium and stay there, upside down, when first placed inside it?

Secondly, there was what appears to be a hard-shelled leg and a charred like body piece (see photo below) that accompanied the mantis in the small tub. Forgive the obvious question, but is this more likely to be some sort of feeder insect that was placed alongside the mantis, and if so, should I assume it has been fed and won't need additional food for a few more days?

Image0020.jpg

For the record, it's a Giant Indian mantis, 3rd/4th instar and is around 4-5cm in length. I will try and upload some photos later if I can, as at the moment it is almost impossible to get a good shot!

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.`

Welcome. Yes, it's normal for the mantis to hang upside down.

Yes, those are discarded bits of a prey insect.

Feed it a roach or cricket or bee at least every other day.

Look forward to more pics!

Could you introduce yourself on the appropriate forum?

Thanks for the clarification Phil, much obliged!

He/she is still upside down at the minute making it hard to get a photo, but I'll get one up as soon as I can.

Latest posts