Heterochaeta occidentalis L6 (Video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Meet Kingu Krab, ruler of Zebulon 6. I'm pretty sure Ultraman fought him in episode 24.

Soundtrack by Precarious

Is this species very rare?
I guess it's pretty new to the hobby. I only know of a few people in the US who have them, but I don't claim any special knowledge on that. I'm hoping to breed mine and spread them around. Very cool species. Simple to care for. And just very cool looking. I really like 'em! :D

Man those are cool! they make a chinese look like generic fodder.

Ultraman,now that brings me back to childhood to bad most don't have a clue who he is?

but I think he may have battled Johnny Soko and his flying Robot or was it Gammera?

Amazing!

I have about a dozen of these and I honestly kind of wrote them off as a sideshow. But they're a big hit. I've got them communally, and I did have a few losses in the beginning as they transitioned food types, but all is well now. I don't have any L6 yet, but any day now. I have both species and they are really a departure from the Gongy/Idol/Ghost fancy-pants and the down-and dirty classics. And very docile. Have you seen their little butts curl up like something out of a Nightmare Before Christmas...?

Oh, and I... LOVE... Ultra... Man!!!!! And Johnny Soko and Gamera and the Big G and all the rubber suit monsters! I got to see a premeire of the new Godzilla Movie a few years ago here in LA, and a film orginal of "Son of Godzilla" so clear on the screen you could see all the wires!!

Amazing!

I have about a dozen of these and I honestly kind of wrote them off as a sideshow. But they're a big hit. I've got them communally, and I did have a few losses in the beginning as they transitioned food types, but all is well now. I don't have any L6 yet, but any day now. I have both species and they are really a departure from the Gongy/Idol/Ghost fancy-pants and the down-and dirty classics. And very docile. Have you seen their little butts curl up like something out of a Nightmare Before Christmas...?
Yeah, I love when they curl their tail like a scorpion! I really hope I can get them to breed. This is one species I want to keep going in my collection. Very hassle free.

I didn't have any cannibalism but I only have 4. They are scrappy though! I often see little wounds crusted with green blood. They like to fight over food. I've seen one run all the way across the tank to try to steal a fly from another.

Actually, you can see a wound on the right side of this one's neck if you watch for it in the video. ;)

Also, don't be afraid to give them large prey. I had an adult male Ghost that was dying from an attack by a female. After struggling over what to do with him I offered him to a Heterochaeta rather than put him in the freezer. Hard to believe but the Heterochaeta ate the whole thing! Literally from head to tail. I was shocked. I've since fed each an adult female cricket and they ate the whole thing. You couldn't even tell they'd eaten an especially big meal after.

I mistakenly believed they didn't require much food because they are so long and thin. Flies are not really enough once they hit sub-adult.

I'm debating posting the video of the Ghost getting eaten. I don't want people to think I'm cruel. It just seemed like the right thing to do. He was already dying from being partially eaten and the female who attacked wouldn't take him back once I'd rescued (or tried to rescue) him. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm debating posting the video of the Ghost getting eaten. I don't want people to think I'm cruel. It just seemed like the right thing to do. He was already dying from being partially eaten and the female who attacked wouldn't take him back once I'd rescued (or tried to rescue) him. :(

I for one Vote: POST IT !!! maybe with the Judist Priest song "eat me alive" or maybe LL Cool J's "my momma said knock you out" :whistling:

Yeah - I've seen them snap at each other quite a bit, but no injuries as yet.

I had one much smaller than the others, so I just moved him into one of the adult Gongy enclosures. It'll be interesteding to see how he holds up (I've had all kinds of others in there at one time or another - adult Orchids, Boxers, Creos, Ghosts - so I think he he'll be fine...

I had one much smaller than the others, so I just moved him into one of the adult Gongy enclosures. It'll be interesteding to see how he holds up (I've had all kinds of others in there at one time or another - adult Orchids, Boxers, Creos, Ghosts - so I think he he'll be fine...
Oh yeah? Gongys not very aggressive to other species either? I'd believe that.

I have my adults in with some adult phasmids. Zero problems.

Shoot! I forgot to tag the post with a "Go-Go-Gongy" disclaimer... Hang on...

(brought to you by VIeW - Dedicated to promoting "Violins in the Workplace")

I posted a shield eating an Idolo and a Chinese eating an anole...don't feel bad lol