New Idolo Tank

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Since there are Ghost Mantis squatters in the twig-filled tank I originally made for the Idolos, I evicted my adult Violins to a net cage so I could remodel and move the Idolos in.

I started with a 12x12x12 Exo-Terra terrarium, which I love since they open in the front. Great if you plan of taking pics or shooting video.

The roof is covered in thin twigs for delicate Idolo feets. Just cut twigs to size, lay 2 bamboo skewers long enough to hang over the lip of the tank spaced so they'll span the roof, then hot glue the twigs in place. Very simple to do and very effective. Just make sure your screen will seat properly with the skewers underneath.

I did something very similar to the right side of the tank to give them vertical hang space. Horizontal branches glued to 2 bamboo skewers, and the skewers glued to the glass.

I have various branches, a vine and leaves lower but within reach of the roof as convenient step off points for molting Idolos. That way they won't have to climb up the old skin when they need to flip to inflate their wings. The reports indicate this is when most fall during their final molt.

Plenty of moss for humidity and a shallow dish with extra moist moss. The dish makes it easy to take it out to clean and I can dump water into the dish without it soaking the whole floor of the tank. If mold ever developed it would be in this dish which I can easily replace without disturbing the rest of the tank.

I'll probably mount the white temp/humidity gauge near the roof and keep the black one on the floor. You'd be surprised how it can vary over that short distance. I blocked off the front half of the screen to help hold humidity. Still plenty of air flow between the grill in front and the open back half of the roof.

smtankfront.jpg

smtank3-Q01.jpg

smtank3-Q2.jpg

smtankopen.jpg

smtankopen2.jpg

They seem to like it so far!

smIdoloontop03.jpg

smIdoloontop01.jpg

smIdoloontop02.jpg

smIdoloonside.jpg

smIdoloclimb.jpg

Great setup for the Idolos! I wish I had space to set up a nice display enclosure. But the 32oz containers will have to do for now. :D

Beautiful.

I'm still unsure about the side "walks". What's to keep them from molting there instead of the top...?

Another thing that I DIDN'T have, that I think you got right, is LOTS of springy moss to break a fall.

I have a tenative plan to put a 24/7 security cam on my next adults to see where it's going wrong...

You just had to remodel cuz I ripped off your setup <_< :lol: Looks great! Are all the shots still screen shots from your camcorder? They look a lot different

Beautiful.

I'm still unsure about the side "walks". What's to keep them from molting there instead of the top...?

Another thing that I DIDN'T have, that I think you got right, is LOTS of springy moss to break a fall.

I have a tenative plan to put a 24/7 security cam on my next adults to see where it's going wrong...
I'm confident that given the choice they will pick the right spot to molt. I'm pretty sure they want to succeed even more than I want them to. They've got more at stake and they've got instinct to point them in the right direction. :)

I've been lucky enough to watch nearly all my mantis molts. I see what the different species have in common and what special needs their different shapes present.

I watched all of my Violins pick the very same spot in their enclosure for their final molt. Only one picked a different spot and she fell when she tried to climb up the old skin. All the others stepped onto a plant then flipped. It's even dangerous for smaller species as can be seen in the Ghost molt I posted yesterday. It's risky business.

Check

to see that my male Violin stepped forward onto a plant before flipping. You'll see his old skin up top.I have unedited footage of an adult female Violin transitioning from old skin to that same leaf. I'll try to get that edited and posted before too long. I am so backlogged... :helpsmilie:

All we can do is try to give them what they need to have a healthy molt. If they don't we've got to be willing to accept at least part of the blame since they have no choice in designing their environment. That's how I look at it, anyway.

You just had to remodel cuz I ripped off your setup
dry.gif
:lol: Looks great! Are all the shots still screen shots from your camcorder? They look a lot different
Well I can't just sit by and allow you to drink in ALL the glory. :angry:

Yeah, those are frame grabs from HD video. If they look better it's just that I'm getting better at setting up lighting and adjusting them in Photoshop. You can see I put an extra light on top of the tank to help. That's why that cord is just hanging there.

I may invest in a cheap white and 18% gray card for setting white and color balance. That would help my camcorder capture more accurate color and contrast to begin with. Less work in post.

Hmmm...

Well, please keep us posted. Thay are really spectacular as adults, but really bulky (especially the females). I think that flip is tough enough to pull off as a dainty little Gongy, but a real challenge for Idols with that much mass and those loooong thin legs.

(By the way, am I supposed to put the "o" at the end...? I've just called them "Idols" - as in "American"...)

By the way, am I supposed to put the "o" at the end...? I've just called them "Idols" - as in "American"...
Haha! Call them whatever you like. I just throw the "o" on so there is no doubt I'm talking about a mantis. :lol:

I'll be sure to fill everyone in on the result of my experiments.

I could be completely wrong. If I fail, just lump me in with everyone else who's tried and failed. :(

But if I'm right and I get Idolos all the way to adult and breeding on my first try, starting with only 5 nymphs, and after only dealing with mantids since May, everyone should chip in to get me a trophy or something! :blush:

But if I'm right and I get Idolos all the way to adult and breeding on my first try, starting with only 5 nymphs, and after only dealing with mantids since May, everyone should chip in to get me a trophy or something! :blush:
I'll totally be the first person to go buy you a trophy Precarious! Heck, I'll even arrange a parade for you! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
great set up!! how old are all those guys?

Do you plan on seperating them?

Are there any mantis species that can coexist?
Two L6, two L5 and a little L4 kept separately. It's an undersized runt so I'm afraid it may get eaten. Once it molts to L5 I'll bring it in with the others.

I'm going to continue keeping them together. I haven't seen any indications of cannibalistic tendencies so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Communal species that I'm aware of are:

Gongylus gongylodes

Phyllocrania paradoxa (separate females from younger nymphs once they become sub-adult)

Gambian Spotted-Eye Flower Mantis

Heterochaeta occidentalis

Sibylla pretiosa

Phyllovates chlorophaea

There may be more but these are the communal species I keep. I prefer communal mantids because it's much easier to care for them as a group and you can set up nice terrariums rather than keeping them in deli cups. That's just my personal preference.

Two L6, two L5 and a little L4 kept separately. It's an undersized runt so I'm afraid it may get eaten. Once it molts to L5 I'll bring it in with the others.

I'm going to continue keeping them together. I haven't seen any indications of cannibalistic tendencies so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Communal species that I'm aware of are:

Gongylus gongylodes

Phyllocrania paradoxa (separate females from younger nymphs once they become sub-adult)

Gambian Spotted-Eye Flower Mantis

Heterochaeta occidentalis

Sibylla pretiosa

Phyllovates chlorophaea

There may be more but these are the communal species I keep. I prefer communal mantids because it's much easier to care for them as a group and you can set up nice terrariums rather than keeping them in deli cups. That's just my personal preference.
do you recommend any stores for communal mantids?

Petland seems to only carry miomantis paykullii and Rhombodera basalis .

do you recommend any stores for communal mantids?

Petland seems to only carry miomantis paykullii and Rhombodera basalis .
It's not really legal for pet stores to carry mantids because ownership falls into a bit of a gray area. That's why you don't often see them for sale.

I suggest you keep an eye on the 'for sale' forum here. That's where all my mantids came from. I'll have Gambian Spotted-Eye Flower Mantis L2 nymphs for sale very soon, and likely Ghost mantis nymphs soon after. And I don't know what you paid at Petland but nymphs average about $5 each through the forum, but you also have to factor in shipping. ;)

It's not really legal for pet stores to carry mantids because ownership falls into a bit of a gray area. That's why you don't often see them for sale.

I suggest you keep an eye on the 'for sale' forum here. That's where all my mantids came from. I'll have Gambian Spotted-Eye Flower Mantis L2 nymphs for sale very soon, and likely Ghost mantis nymphs soon after. And I don't know what you paid at Petland but nymphs average about $5 each through the forum, but you also have to factor in shipping. ;)
Here it's 13 dollars for a miomantis paykulli and 20 dollars for a Rhombodera basalis.

And why would ownership be a legal issue? The mantis is almost native to north america so it's not like they could cause eco mishaps. I'm from Canada, live in Vancouver. What communal species do you recommend? What's your favorite species over all ?

Also I don't have a paypal account. is cash purchase applicable on this forum?

Here it's 13 dollars for a miomantis paykulli and 20 dollars for a Rhombodera basalis.

And why would ownership be a legal issue? The mantis is almost native to north america so it's not like they could cause eco mishaps. I'm from Canada, live in Vancouver. What communal species do you recommend? What's your favorite species over all ?

Also I don't have a paypal account. is cash purchase applicable on this forum?
From what I've been told, in the US it is technically only legal to own species native to your area.

In my experience, Gambians are the easiest to keep. I bought 2 nymphs, they both made it to adults, mated and are now laying ooths. They're spunky little things.

After them I would say Heterochaeta occidentalis. Very cool looking - long bodies and pointy eyes, but they are not easy to find.

Those two species are very easy to keep as are Phyllovates chlorophaea.

My favorites are probably the Idolos though. I think they are well worth the trouble.

Whether cash or PayPal would depend on the seller, as would shipping to Canada. I don't think I would sell outside the US.

Latest posts