Orchid enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcal

Reaction score
Let me know what you think. It gets plenty of fresh air from the air pump and the fan causes alot of movement.

The pothos may or may not go.

looks good. tell us how it goes. i think you may find keeping them in deli cups and spraying once a day is easier though.

I will keep you updated. I find this easer though. I just have to keep the water topped off.

I like the whole idea of it, if you have the resources, why not. If the Pothos plant does't make it, you can opt for a plant that likes more humidity like an orchid. I forget, what species of Chameleons are you into. I still just have the one female Panther from Steve Simms.

have you record the humidity inside the containers of the mantids?? is it the same?

saludos

I'm just going to put my nymphs (when I get them) in a 12'' net cube with a bunch of

silk orchids.

I dont need to worry about RH because I have 3 humidifiers going 24/7.

I suspect, like most mantids, L2's will be fine together as long as there is plenty of food.

I keep all my new hatches all together until I see signs of fighting, fear of each other, running

away from each other, etc.

It would be impossible to put all my nymphs in seperate cups. I wouldnt have anywere to sleep!! ;)

I'll get there some day but right now I only have them to worry about. I like to try differennt approachs.

Rich

Ambilobes. Mostly red bars.

You need to get a male for her! She will start dropping eggs soon.

I'll get there some day but right now I only have them to worry about. I like to try differennt approachs.

Rich

Ambilobes. Mostly red bars.

You need to get a male for her! She will start dropping eggs soon.
Sounds like you are pretty new to the hobby?

What all mantids do you have in your collection?

I am kinda new.......

Creo

Orchid

double shield

Aussie giant.

Wow when you say it out loud I do have more than I think

This setup holds steady at 80f with 80% humidity. Slight drop midday to 75% rh.

I think it's perfect for high humidity nymphs. Once they get older and less sensitive I think I will pull them out, to make room for more nymphs!

Jcal & Psychobunny, how are your Orchids doing? How many did you get? Did you lose any when they molted to L3 (assuming your got yours from Yen around the same time I did).

I got 10 and all have molted to L3 early this week.

No deaths and all of mine are very active and agressive feeders.

Did you lose some?

Jcal, yes, I was sad to lose two of mine...the first Orchid nymphs I've ever lost. They all seemed very healthy when I got them. But two of them had mismolts. The rest of them appear to be very active and are eating a lot. I got four nymphs late last winter and 3 in the summer that all made it to adults. But the last ones I got were a little older when I got them, and it's much more humid in Minnesota in the summer. My house is so dry in the winter. A friend of mine has also lost some of his. I was hoping the rest of you were doing better. Your set up is definitely much fancier than mine.

that's unfortunate.

The only reason I went with this setup is because my house is very dry as well. Before the orchids I bought some creos and I had a few of them mis molt. After trying different approaches this one was the best for holding rh and temp. All made from spare parts found in my garage.

there may be some benefit that justifies this effort. Not sure as of yet

Now if only I can get some yellow orchids in this science experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Creo nymphs seem to do OK with just a light misting once a day. I've had very few mismolts. And my Oxyopsis gracilis nymphs did even better. I only found 2 out of around 50 that died from mismolts. I have more Ghost nymphs mismolt at early instars than any other species.

Where did you get the black grid from that lines your enclosures?

Keep us posted how your Orchids are doing.

Latest posts