Addicted to vaseline

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickfraser

Reaction score
I collect vaseline glass and also make beaded jewelry with vaseline glass beads. What makes it really cool, I think, is that it glows under black light. What makes it glow is that it contains uranium. It is also called uranium glass.

Well, the reason for my post is that I made somewhat of a butterfly pendant and was wondering what you thought. I am changing offices and came into a lot of copper wire and thought I'd try to make something. It kind of just came together, but I think it turned out kinda cute. I never tried any wire wrapping, as I have no experience and copper wire is pretty expensive to practice with. But why not dabble if the resources present themselves, right?

Under regular light:

DSCN2596.jpg

With Flash:

DSCN2599.jpg

And what makes it really POP...Under a black light (Great for clubbing):

DSCN2593.jpg

That's pretty neat! I've done crafts for as long as I can remember and especially love making my own jewelry...but this is the first time I've heard of "vaseline glass"! Have you ever tried making "viking knit"? Just do a quick google search on it...it's really neat...and a great way to use up lots of wire! ;)

I've never heard of it. Do you make it from vaseline?

Uranium is/was added in the production of the glass for the color. I don't believe it is produced any longer and most of my beads are vintage that I've acquired throughout the years. I haven't made much jewelry lately, as I could never wear all I have made already. I will look up "viking knit". It sounds impressive with a name like that. I got creative and made a worm/caterpillar this morning. I will post it later.

Wait, How did you use up all the vaseline that was in the jars? Forget it I don't want to know. :pinch: :no: (joke :lol: )

I forgot to mention that it was given the name "vaseline" glass, because the color resembled the Vaseline that was produced at the time. I haven't seen current Vaseline, but I believe it is colorless now. I prefer KY when choosing a lubricant, sorry. Gotta be safe.

I used to collect all types, pressed included. Now I am focusing mainly on artisan made vintage hand-blown vaseline glass from Murano, Italy. I like the fact that even if mass produced (at the time, but still limited), it was still made by a skilled artisan. Somebody made it and not something. I just won this on Ebay. It looks AMAZING! http://www.ebay.com/itm/130637057400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_912wt_1270 I can't wait to get it. I am probably going to end up selling a lot of my collection to fine tune it down. I have too much to even see it all to appreciate it properly. I'm sorta a hoarder, but it's good stuff. :lol:

Interesting stuff. I learned a few new things today. Thanks for posting and keep up the good work! Art is such a positive form of expression.

I forgot to mention that it was given the name "vaseline" glass, because the color resembled the Vaseline that was produced at the time. I haven't seen current Vaseline, but I believe it is colorless now. I prefer KY when choosing a lubricant, sorry. Gotta be safe.
Nah, Vaseline is a nasty yellowish color now...not clear at all. And possibly the worst "lubricant" ever for that sort of thing... ;) :p (It's a petroleum BY-PRODUCT, people!)

I never could get used to the taste of that Kentucky Jelly in the hospital. :pinch:

(I'm cheap...I use vegetable glycerin - often sold next to the band-aids & such - same stuff, but you're not paying for the name!) :D

This thread has officially gone...TMI!!! Mwah, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Most folks I know probe 'em "dry"...but I feel that's just too cruel. (No wonder they get shat on!...I've never had one poop on me while probing!)

"Nicer" folks use water, but even water is not lubricating enough for that type of invasive procedure, if you ask me! :eek:

Whoa, crazy thread! lol ... and the name definitely caught my attention.

I wire-wrap stuff and make chainmaille jewelry for part of my living, and Scott, the butterflies are super cool! I may have to look for Vaseline glass, I had not heard of it before. How is it not radioactive?

One of the things that's really fun to do is take glass marbles and cook them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, then drop them in ice water. You get some really neat crackled effects and then you can wrap those in wire and wear as a necklace.

Last year I collected some bugs who kindly volunteered to die on my porch when their time was up and set them in resin, then wire wrapped the "stones." I need to do take 2 on this idea since it needs some tweaking. I was thinking about putting shed exuviae in a similar resin stone (could even tint amber...). It'd definitely be a conversation piece. What do you think?

Here's a gallery of some of my jewelry and other art in case anyone's interested: http://youvegotmaille.deviantart.com/

Latest posts