Brunneria borealis - The White Lady... Albino or Color Morph?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
I don't know if my house was built on an ancient Indian burial mound, a magnetic vortex, or what, but it seems after a few generations of most species I end up with color morphs.

Here is the latest, a Brunner that has virtually no color but a hint of salmon which is normally limited to the base of the antennae. Maybe an albino?

Anyone else ever see this in Brunners?

Her normal green sister...

BrunnerL3_3960-sm.jpg

The white lady...

BrunnerL3_3959-sm.jpg

BrunnerL3_3962-am.jpg

BrunnerL3_3961-sm.jpg

That is just the beige color morph. I have seen it before a couple of times.

It can't be a genetic variant can it? Aren't they all clones?
That's a good point. They reproduce through parthenogenesis. I wonder if that means there are environmental triggers relating to coloration. They have lived in the same container together so that doesn't seem likely. Must be random.

Nice cool color. My are only L5 still small .
These are only L3. That's a hydei she's eating! :D

If movies have taught me anything all you need to do is re-bury the remains you dug up in your back yard!

Parthenogenesis can still spawn mutations. Very easily so. Point mutations especially
Interesting. But is a color morph a true mutation or just expression of a normaly dormant trait? Or could color be the result of a point mutation? Maybe I'm stating that incorrectly. I'm not up on the lingo. I guess what I'm asking is can parthenogenesis contribut to variation within the gene pool?

If movies have taught me anything all you need to do is re-bury the remains you dug up in your back yard!
I know, right? But every time I try this happens...

poltergeist-movie-ghost-doorway-tobe-hooper.jpg

Any mutation is a variation in the gene pool. Color is the phenotypic expression of the genotype. Mutations do not only affect color the affect anything the can be expressed in the genotype.

The reason the OP sees color mutations after several generations is due to inbreeding. Color traits normally non expressed due to recessive nature increase in their potential for expression as the recessive gene becomes more and more common, creating more chance of homozygous recessive offspring.

Any mutation is a variation in the gene pool. Color is the phenotypic expression of the genotype. Mutations do not only affect color the affect anything the can be expressed in the genotype.

The reason the OP sees color mutations after several generations is due to inbreeding. Color traits normally non expressed due to recessive nature increase in their potential for expression as the recessive gene becomes more and more common, creating more chance of homozygous recessive offspring.
Thanks. Since there is no inbreeding in cultures of this species it must be a random mutation that happens pretty regularly if others have seen this color variation. I'll have to see if this female produces nymphs of the same color. If due to a mutation logic would say she would. If not, then it is a variation triggered by external stimuli, correct?

Correct. But it's difficult to say without genetic sequencing whether it is or isn't caused by mutation. Parthenogenesis is non mated reproduction but it is NOT cloning. All offspring will possess slightly different genotypes due to recombination inherit to the process. Not all genotype changes code for differences in phenotype, but (with VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS) all physical characteristic differences are caused by phenotypic expression coded for in the genotype

One physical trait not solely controlled by genotype is size. Genotype codes for a maximum size the animal will achieve, but availability of nutrients can cause that animal to be malnourished enough to never achieve that optimum size limit.

Nice! I used to have that camera. Maybe i should have kept it. You have the 100mm f/2.8?
Yeah, EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM. It's the cheaper one without IS. T2i is a great camera. I'd love to upgrade to 5D mkIII but too much cash. Maybe once it drops.

Latest posts