Mantis Family Trees. Let's start with Popa Spurca.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mime454

Reaction score
We've been having some discussions about inbreeding, and many people have found it to be a serious issue.

I think it would be great if we could trace the lineage to find out whose mantids are most closely related to whose. I own popa spurca, so I'm going to start with that species, others can start other threads for different species.

All you have to do is say where you got your popa spurca mantids, I'll keep the thread updated and we can try to get a complete family tree going.

The idea is to trace all of the lines to wild caught specimens. While this may be impossible, it's a nice goal.

Locus 1:

Mime454 receive popa spurca from SSimsswiSS

Locus 2:

Agent A receives popa spurca from yen saw

Locus 3:

Rick S receives gravid female from Agent A (locus 2) and Rebecca (locus x)'s stock. Ooth laid Yet to hatch?

Locus 4:

Mkayum receives popa spurca from Jcal. Possible dead line. One female left.

Unknown loci

1. Rebecca, from oversees. Risk of relation to other U,S stock is low.

Last edited by a moderator:
i recieved popa from yen saw

2 made it to adult, didnt get to mate

female from yen mated with male from rebecca, laid 2 fertile ooths, 1 hatched at rebecca's and all died, one is under incubation by rich s

then i got a pair from carey (greenoasis) who mated friday and female getting ready to lay, male is going to mime454 this week, carey confirms her stock comes from yen saw

female from yen mated with male from rebecca, laid 2 fertile ooths, 1 hatched at rebecca's and all died, one is under incubation by rich s

then i got a pair from carey (greenoasis) who mated friday and female getting ready to lay, male is going to mime454 this week, carey confirms her stock comes from yen saw
I'm just going to put that your mantids came from yen saw, because they all did, even if indirectly. Sound okay?

Yes, but isn't that line now dead? I will add it if you think it's necessary. I want to thorough.
not technically because if rebecca's ooth from her male and my female (my old pair both dead now) hatched then rich s' ooth should be fertile and if it hatches then the genes r still circulating around...

not technically because if rebecca's ooth from her male and my female (my old pair both dead now) hatched then rich s' ooth should be fertile and if it hatches then the genes r still circulating around...
I added it as a new locus for now until we know from where Rebecca's came.

If Rebecca's also came from Yen, it will be added as red to locus 2. Red texts will be instances of confirmed inbreeding.

I added it as a new locus for now until we know from where Rebecca's came.

If Rebecca's also came from Yen, it will be added as red to locus 2. Red texts will be instances of confirmed inbreeding.
but yen kept popa 2 or 3 distinct times, i dont think they r all the same line

but we will have to ask yen...

oh and rich s didnt recieve an ooth from me, he recieved the female who laid an ooth at his house ;)
I think I fixed it all now. Keep corrections coming. Getting this right would be great. Also, of you keep this species, or have sold them, please chime in.

yes, but all died within a few days of hatching, ALL!

This happened with the first ooth I ever hatched, a ghost one. They hatched fine but were all dead the next day. Is that because of inbreeding? Or something else?

Edit: I just molted again. I was wondering why I was feeling so lethargic!

that makes me sad because i loved their mother

but it may've been my fault for malnourishing her, since she was a small female (ask rich s) and didnt eat much (2 full grown nauphoeta filled her to ooth laying, my current female requires at least twice that)

i dont think i want popa anymore, i may just sell her first ooth she lays and then her, i need to cut back to about 4 species soon and i already decided on 3...

that makes me sad because i loved their mother

but it may've been my fault for malnourishing her, since she was a small female (ask rich s) and didnt eat much (2 full grown nauphoeta filled her to ooth laying, my current female requires at least twice that)

i dont think i want popa anymore, i may just sell her first ooth she lays and then her, i need to cut back to about 4 species soon and i already decided on 3...
Why do you need to cut back? :'(

Why do you need to cut back? :'(
gonna be busy with school and AP courses and stuff

i can hardly manage my current collection

i'm deffo staying with wahlbergii ghost and californica

but choosing between idolo bleph popa tenodera rhombo polyspilota miomantis and all the other stuff i have isn't gonna be easy...

obviously if i fail to breed any of the 3 chosen ones i can substitute...

gonna be busy with school and AP courses and stuff

i can hardly manage my current collection

i'm deffo staying with wahlbergii ghost and californica

but choosing between idolo bleph popa tenodera rhombo polyspilota miomantis and all the other stuff i have isn't gonna be easy...

obviously if i fail to breed any of the 3 chosen ones i can substitute...
I know how that feels. I'm just got permission from the dean to take 23 credit hours my first full semester of college. Going to be rough, but I think I can do it, I don't sleep very often. ;)

this hobby, like a lot of the exotics hobbies, is subject to "pokemon syndrome"

People just have to collect them all. Then you realize its better to do more with a few species than try to be the one with more than anyone else.

I think you'll be a lot happier focusing on just a few.

I personally like high humidity flower, leaf and moss mimics myself because I can keep them like I keep my dart frogs