Neobarrettia spinosa (Ginat Texas Katydid) video

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
She's big. She's mean. She's green! Neobarrettia spinosa, or greater arid-land katydid, aka "Red-eyed Devil" is a really large omnivorous katydid. They hunt insects but also eat fruit and veggies. They're really good jumpers and their feet will stick to anything.

Soundtrack by Precarious

Last edited by a moderator:
wow look at the spikes on those legs and what is that long thing that comes from the behind

boy am I glad we are bigger than bugs we wouldnt stand a chance :sweatdrop:

what is that long thing that comes from the behind
That's the stinger! She stung me earlier and it came out the other side of my arm, which is lucky because the venom is very painful.

Just kidding... :D

That's her ovipositor. They stick it into the ground and inject their ova for incubation.

nice!! got any little ones of them for sale??
She's been laying ova so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I don't think these have been cultured up to this point so me and a friend are giving it a go.

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

You don't think TA would shy away from some carnage in the name of sport, do you? (I kind of like it though, as he did answer some ques, people asked about head to head, lol...)

Latest posts