Magellan is dead.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
I'm turning myself into the local police. Mantisslaughter. I am sooooooo angry and upset.

I killed him while trying (desperately) to feed him.

He was stationary on my desk. I was trying to get FFs into his cage. As the fruit flies tried to climb up the sides of the enclosure, I kept banging the bottom of the Tupperware enclosure on the desk (a distance from where Magellan was). I glanced over to his standing spot during the procedure. He had moved. I looked under the enclosure. It was horrible. All that force on one L3. Jeeez am I pissed. How incredibly stupid.

despair1.jpg

nooo! poor little fella i have bad dreams about all my mantises dieing because of somthing i did wrong :sleeping:

That's too bad. I've accidentally killed a few by squishing them or dropping them. I've had so much practice with lids and feeding now that it hasn't happened for a while, but the little buggers still jump out of my hands. Most of them survive the fall.

so sorry :( This is what i do to avoid squishes. I lift the lid off so it isnt locked, so i can just lift and itll come off. I let the mantis sit there for a while and when my feeder is ready, i lift the lid, holding the the lid still upside down, and drop the feeder in then gently place the lid on, check for the mantis, then close. For ffs, try using malakyomas blowdart method :) Good luck with the other one digger, it wasnt your fault. Happens to everyone. I crushed a few nypmhs by accident as well in the beginning, but as tammy said, you get used to their behavior and the lids and it happens less. Magellan in no doubt in mantis heaven :innocent:

Yes, Lohit - for certain he's in mantis heaven. Such a good nymph. But given the tragic, careless situation in which he died, perhaps his mantisspirit is not free...what if he's a.......GHOST !! :eek:

I'm sorry to hear it. I had something happen like that recently with one of my nymphs. :( It's something that happens to us all at least once from what I've read on here.

I'm so sorry to hear about Magellan... That's really tough. :( But for the short time that I've been on this forum, it's very evident how much you care for all your mantids, so I'm sure he got to live his life to the fullest -if not in quantity than in quality. Again, sorry to hear about your loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry Digger :( That kind of thing has happen to all of us at one time or another. After 40 years in the zoo business I have learned that all we can do is hope to raise more than we kill.....

Oh no!!! Sorry to hear this. :( Sometimes it's hard to keep track of them they're so tiny. I have completely lost nymphs in my apartment before never to be seen again.

Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.

Dr. Seuss

Oh no!!! Sorry to hear this. :( Sometimes it's hard to keep track of them they're so tiny. I have completely lost nymphs in my apartment before never to be seen again.

Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.

Dr. Seuss
Please don't put out a hit on me Mike (after all, you're the Dad and gave me Magellan as a foster child). On the bright side, Ponder ate his first cricket yesterday. Pretty sure he witnessed the tragic mess that occured while trying to feed his brother, and he didn't want anything near the same horrid outcome. Think he would've eaten a shoe if I gave it to him.

Latest posts