Mounting/preserving

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellroy

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone have any tips on mounted a dead mantis? I have my Adult male Idolo in the freezer and would like to preserve him if I can or definitely the female when she pops her clogs.

Thanks

Alan

Put the dead specimen in a dry/cool and shaded area but not fridge or freezer. If you want your pinned specimen looks great position the mantis with pin and paper strap like below

male.jpg

If you leave the dead mantis in the freezer for too long, the legs and wing may break and the color of the mantis turn dark and unattractive. Do not put the dead specimen under the sun too, the color will fade. Pin the mantis between the thorax na dabdomen 1-2 week after drying the dead specimen. It takes time and patient that's why a good collection of dead specimen can cost more than a live one.

Thanks Yen! I'll see if I can defrost him! His thorax shield is a bit deformed so he's no perfect anyway, I think i'll use him to practice before I try the female (who's still going strong!). I have pinned smaller insects in the way you describe but wasn't sure about drying a big meaty mantis.

Alan

Latest posts