First mantis - worried about molting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commandaunt

Reaction score
Hey there,

So I bought a mantis the other day - it's been fine in terms of eating and not dying so far but I'm worried about it molting for the first time (in my house anyway). It's turned slightly grey in the last 6 hrs in its abdomen and claws and is hanging from a stick rather than the lid where it usually likes to chill. I'm mostly worried about if I've been misting it enough (I usually spray the inside of the cup 2-3 times a day [should I be directly spraying the mantis as well?]) and if it will die if it falls from that height or if it will even fall at all. Here's a few pictures (sorry about the quality).

http://i.gyazo.com/22e05532662366d577b7cea3be299039.png
http://i.gyazo.com/10c7d19318fa08dc9a1cbbc913cac687.png
http://i.gyazo.com/b1340b5b3a568940e14419972f1fdaa5.png

P.S - The pet store I bought it from clearly didn't know much about mantises (didn't know the species......) if anybody can identify it, let me know
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10620225_896420910390810_6180603545844948365_o.jpg - Better picture of it.

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome4.gif

It is recommended that you mist only once every 2 to 3 days, not 2 to 3 times daily, I personally only mist once per day. Regarding directly spraying the mantis it's not a recommended thing even though several do that, a very fine mist, but if the mantis gets misted a bit when you do the cup that's fine.

A fall of 2 inches or less as in your photos will not kill it, I've had nymphs jump off my arm at 4 feet onto carpet without any issues; however, if it falls at all during molting the problem is that the mantis will become deformed as it did not have a chance to dry. Once it molts it will take about an hour for it's new exoskeleton to fully dry, and if it falls or otherwise becomes damaged it can become handicapped which will require hand-feeding and care or may lead to it's death.

Often a mantis will turn white/gray before it molts. Especially around the wing buds. Looking at the photos though if it molts on that position on the stick it will not have much/if any room to molt without hitting your substrate. You may see if can coax your mantis into moving onto the lid.

Perhaps someone can identify the mantis but I have no idea with the darkness and fuzziness of the photos. As it looks too common to ID for me without having a better photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to get in on the lid, so if it just stays where it is, it should be able to latch on to the stick - if its smart. Hope you're right!

Thanks for the welcome :) I went in to buying this guy pretty blind, so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions haha, absolutely loving the pet so far though!

All he could tell me was that it was an asian mantis as opposed to the african mantis shipment that he was supposed to get. African was supposed to be big, this one's supposed to be small (2-4 inches?) Looks pretty damn similar on google images :)

I was able to get in on the lid, so if it just stays where it is, it should be able to latch on to the stick - if its smart. Hope you're right!

Thanks for the welcome :) I went in to buying this guy pretty blind, so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions haha, absolutely loving the pet so far though!
Your welcome and glad to see your enjoying your pet.

As I can't identify your mantis I've been searching the forum for a general caresheet but I'm at a loss, as some species of mantis/mantid can really vary on some aspects of care.

Although general guidelines are to keep the temperature around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit, room temperature. Humidity at about 50%, with misting done daily or more if it evaporates too quickly (if your mantis is drinking water from the mist droplets, mist more often). Feed your mantis every other day a couple of crickets or roaches, the most common feeders (my female mantis would eat two crickets about daily). Remove any uneaten feeders within an hour.

looks like a budwing mantis
If it is a Budwing, here is a caresheet for it.

All he could tell me was that it was an asian mantis as opposed to the african mantis shipment that he was supposed to get. African was supposed to be big, this one's supposed to be small (2-4 inches?) Looks pretty damn similar on google images :)
If it is a "Asian mantis" perhaps it is the most common verity, the so called Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis). It is difficult to say though without a ID of your mantis as pet stores sell mantises under generic titles. For example here is a page for "African Mantis" that shows some of the more common species sold under that title.

The best bet is to find any coloration, bands or spots of colors, and textures and post about them here - and perhaps try to get a well lit photo. It will help in identifying your new pet.

Yeah, when I look at others I'd say you guys are right on the money, same arms, patterns etc etc. Good eye(s) :)

One more question (I know it's off-topic but I don't really wanna waste space with another thread) - I've heard conflicting things about feeding them crickets that's diet consists mostly of potatoes. Are these fine to keep feeding it ? Seems to be enjoying them so far.

what kind of lid do you have? is it easy to grip? The hooks on the mantids feet have to be able to hold onto it quite well because they are heavy when molting.

Id take the stick out since hes getting ready to molt and you dont want the stick to get in the way and deform him.

Glad to see you got it identified. ;)

I've feed mine crickets without issues using all sorts of fruits and vegetables (apples, bananas, lettuce, celery, etc.) - they seem to like apples the best. The only thing I've heard that causes problems is carrots, here is the Carrot Controversy.

If you are feeding them potatoes just for them to get water you can make a self watering container easy for them. I have two in with my crickets tank and never had one drown. I know it works great as the crickets use it all the time, and my Isopods also like to bury themselves in the cotton to stay hydrated.

Here is a how-to I made for my cricket self-waterer...

cricket-waterer.jpg

Edit - I updated the photo link and it works in the preview, but not in the post. For a full tutorial on making it, view the tutorial on my website.

Glad to see you got it identified. ;)

I've feed mine crickets without issues using all sorts of fruits and vegetables (apples, bananas, lettuce, celery, etc.) - they seem to like apples the best. The only thing I've heard that causes problems is carrots, here is the Carrot Controversy.

If you are feeding them potatoes just for them to get water you can make a self watering container easy for them. I have two in with my crickets tank and never had one drown. I know it works great as the crickets use it all the time, and my Isopods also like to bury themselves in the cotton to stay hydrated.

Here is a how-to I made for my cricket self-waterer...

cricket-waterer.jpg
Awesome man!!

The best advice I have is to minimize disturbances around molting time. I generally mist mantids once per day unless conditions are very dry. I would personally remove that stick because it may provide a place for the mantis to molt which is too close to the bottom of the enclosure.

That's awesome! Creative :) Will definitely try my hand at it.

what kind of lid do you have? is it easy to grip? The hooks on the mantids feet have to be able to hold onto it quite well because they are heavy when molting.

Id take the stick out since hes getting ready to molt and you dont want the stick to get in the way and deform him.
The lid is literally just plastic. I have mossy stuff I could attach to it possibly (see pic) or would paper tower/sponge/tissue be better?. If I take the stick out, where will he latch onto after molting, just the ceiling?

That's awesome! Creative :) Will definitely try my hand at it.

The lid is literally just plastic. I have mossy stuff I could attach to it possibly (see pic) or would paper tower/sponge/tissue be better?. If I take the stick out, where will he latch onto after molting, just the ceiling?
Most mantids tend to hang from the lid. If it is a plastic lid I would just cut the middle out and replace with screen. A hot glue gun comes in very handy in this hobby.

yeah like Rick said, dont want him to molt too close to the bottom either

Most mantids tend to hang from the lid. If it is a plastic lid I would just cut the middle out and replace with screen. A hot glue gun comes in very handy in this hobby.
Yeah plastic wont hold him, you gotta use something easy to grip like netting or screen.

Latest posts