10" Mantid species discovered!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orin

Reaction score
An amazing new 10" mantid species has been discovered that exceeds the previous longest recorded extant species.

This new species was first collected by an entomology student during a university sponsored group survey of an uninhabited island in the Indo-Pacific located near Palauan. The habitat is dry tropical forest. This mature adults of this new species have only shortened wings that are useless for flight but are marked with bright red crosses underneath. These markings are flashed as a defense against another of the unique Island inhabitants. A small dinosaur-like creature feeds exclusively on this mantid species but can be deterred from feeding when the red cross symbols are displayed. Only those members of the species that are helping other sick mantodeans display the wing markings. Apparently the markings are universally recognized by the dinosaur-like creatures and only those that fail to display the markings are consumed. The BSU professor leading the group said he never expected his team to make such incredible finds. The proposed name for the new species is Fictitious aprilfoolicus

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard it actually had small FANGS and would drink the blood of mamals too large to kill.

:p I gotta say you had me going until the name! I did wonder why you kept saying dinosaur like creature. I thought, "self" doesn't he know a better name for the dinosaur creature than that? Yept had me going for a second! ;)

:p I gotta say you had me going until the name! I did wonder why you kept saying dinosaur like creature. I thought, "self" doesn't he know a better name for the dinosaur creature than that? Yept had me going for a second! ;)
What about the red cross markings under the wings and the way in which they're used?

No, the wings didn't faze me, some things God gave to use to scare other things and that is the only defence they have, like a snake that resembles a poison snake, its marking are just used to scare, so that didn't get me. Course :rolleyes: I kinda speed read so I can get the gist of a story right off and if it interests me, then I go back and properly read it!

I heard of it, it is believed, that this species uses its own faeces as a termo-optic camo.

I missed april fools day on this forum - shoot!

That's really funny!

My daughter (7 years old) played her first prank on me. She said, in an excited voice, "Daddy, one of your bugs is out!" I came running...only to hear her laugh and say "April Fools!"

The things they learn in school...

Peter

No, the wings didn't faze me, some things God gave to use to scare other things and that is the only defence they have, like a snake that resembles a poison snake, its marking are just used to scare, so that didn't get me. Course :rolleyes: I kinda speed read so I can get the gist of a story right off and if it interests me, then I go back and properly read it!
wouldnt it been more simple to just make things that dont eat each other [alive], in the first place :ph34r:

Latest posts