A Question About Mantids as Pesticide.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeRipper

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am pleased to say that I have a job, at a rose farm. And I was thinking of ways to improve the business and I was like "OH! This is perfect!" There's a section in the store part of the building, called "Earth Friendly Products". I thought that maybe we could start selling mantis nymphs in that section!

Probably little Chineses or Religiosa.

So what do you guys think? Should I pitch my idea to the big bad boss-man?

Sounds like a plan. My boss is actually really cool, he tells me stories about "the good ol' days" when he grew weed for a living.

I no likey that Zoe, keep eye on him!
ohmy.gif

It is a good idea. Many places already sell them. If you have ideas like this be sure to let your boss know. Shows him that you are an engaged employee that is worth keeping. How effective mantids are as pest control is debateable since they eat all insects.

Doesnt hurt to beware, and you are young and cute, so just beware, that's all I am saying, and ok I will keep my shirt on, hubby will be happy
laugh.gif
, thanks for the tip!

I got my chinese mantis ooths from a garden store :) Because they eat ALL bugs yeah the pest control aspect is debatable but they do add interest to a garden!

edit: if you do it I want pics of them on the roses!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright guys, so I talked to my boss (Joseph) and he said it sounds good, and told me to pitch my idea to the big big big boss man, Mark.

And he said this: "Sounds like a winner. Do your research and get back to me with the costs."

YEEEEE!

If You want to sell mantises to relase them on fhe field, you must sell only native species. 80 years ago cane toads were also relased in Australia as earth friendly pesticide and quickly become uncontrollable plague.

Sorry Reb! I've been superduper busy. It's gotten to about 99F here in Oklahoma, and it's heck on the roses. Keeping them alive is getting harder, much less selling them.

Anyhoo, does anyone know of a place that I could get wholesale Chinese or M religiosa ooths?

Also, I finally moved out of Ryan's family's house and am living with grandparents.

Son of a gun, I missed this whole thread! Well, I did a serious "-tiller" Google search (I don't think that Mantis Tillers lay ooths) and came up empty. I was amazed to see that ooths are selling on eBay for over $20 each!

I suggest that you practice your famous people skills, Zoe dear. Go to any large (do you have "large" in your town?) nursery or the plant dept at Walmart and find out if they sell ooths. If they do, coax the name of their wholesaler out of them! I have a friend here who works in a nursery. It's a remote chance, but I'll try her.

Yay! Am I the king of the Googlers or what? Try this for wholesale bugs: http://www.natural-pest-controls.com/prayingmantisegg.html Good luck!

I got my chinese ooths at Sears here in Florida, but the container is from Tip Top Bio-control. www.TipTopBio.com is thier website. My ooths hatched earlier than expected and the first one had to be at least 250 nymphs, the second hatch was less, but I am satisfied with the yield. The only issue was that they misspelled the scientific name for chinese mantid, I think they spelled it "tenodera artificial sinensis", lol. I got the 2 ooths in a cup for $9.99. Sorry, I don't yet know how to post a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! Phil, that link was quite helpful. :)

I know for a fact that WalMart doesn't sell them, I'm not sure about any other places.

I've got work in about 30 mins, so I should probably get ready! Later guys!

Latest posts