A sad, sad day...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradley7779

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

After having my beloved ' Banjo ' ( giant asian ) for 1 year, 1 month and 12 days she sadly passed away last night. I tried in vain everything I could to keep her alive, from a dab of honey on a cocktail stick, stunning a cricket so it couldnt bite her, right down to sitting with her on my lap and feeding her droplets of water again with a cocktail stick but unfortunatly she got to the point where she could no longer stand and died in my hands.

I tried in vain to get her a male to mate with to have some nymphs to remember her by before she died but looks like I was a tad too late. :(

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all forum members for all your advice/tips in the past and its been a pleasure chatting with you all. Im just going to go away for a while and decide if I could keep another mantid and go through this again, god I sound feeble but I had no idea I would get attached to her like a pet..

well i'll try and post the few pictures that I have of her soon so you can all see what a dude she was.

Best wishes and kindest regards

Bradley.

I'm sorry, Bradley. It was her time. You made a wonderful life for her and she gave you much in return. It is hard when we get attatched, even if we know they must answer nature's call in due time. I hope you do eventually get another mantis. She/he may not be quite like Banjo, but you'll be better prepared the next time.

I understand getting attached, but I wouldn't give up just yet. Take a break if you need to, but I see this as a learning experience. Now you have room for more mantids and more knowledge. Sorry for your loss :(

I am so sorry for your loss, I get very attached too, so I understand your pain. But, it is all part of owning an animal of any type. Sadly enough, they do not live as long as us, so we will have to know the pain of living with out them. Try again, you seem like a wonderful mantid owner, and I beleive any one you get will be very lucky to have you as a Dad.

Sorry for your loss,

Chantell

Im sorry to hear that.

My first European Thor passed away and I actually cried. Shed was my favorite, I did everything for her.

My mom told me I shouldnt raise them if I was going to get so attached.

But I ignored that and just had to quit naming them, it kinda helped make it a little easier when they finally passed on.

At least you had Banjo for a really good long time!

If it bothers you that much maybe a different hobby involving a longer lived animal is in order? That is about as long as a mantis is ever going to live so if you want to keep them you need to accept it.

I know how it feels. I had a praying mantis that I "rescued" from the cold weather, and she lived 3 months in my living room. She was such a darling--I never even used a cage, because she always stayed on top of the houseplant. When she was hungry, she'd walk downwards, onto the table, waiting for food, and after she was done, she would actually climb back up the plant. Yeah, I was :( when she died (I'm the sort of person getting real attached to pets :p ), but...oh well, such is nature.

If it bothers you that much maybe a different hobby involving a longer lived animal is in order? That is about as long as a mantis is ever going to live so if you want to keep them you need to accept it.
Stern words but true, Rick, but you need to do careful research. When my sparrow (named "Non, je ne regrette rien") died, I checked around for a bird with a longer lifespan. I heard that the turkey vulture, a pretty bird with a bright red head, lives for about 118 years, and adopted one of the local Yuma fledglings. I grew very fond of her, but she, too, died at the age of 15. Only later dd I learn that it is the turkey buzzard that lives to be over 100. Anyone got a turkey buzzard for sale or exchange for a stuffed turkey vulture?

Hi All,

Thank you all for your kind words and advice.

Over the weekend I popped round to my pals who has a few orchid mantids and also has a giant asian ( banjo's sister! ) so I just fed his and let them have a little mooch round, after having a chat with my pal I did decide that I would get another mantid after all, it just seems such a waste to have x2 empty vivariums!

Well im going to be on the look out soon for a few nymphs, what species yet I do not know.. I did see a really pretty one with like peacock patterned wings but I have no idea what the species is or even if I can get them in the UK?

But thank you all once again, and Rick I liked your post.. in a nut shell > cmon Bradley pull yourself together and grow some *****! :lol:

Speak to you all soon! :D

Welcome back,man!! It's not easy not getting attached but I had to change the way I looked at it. Now if they make it into adulthood I'm good to go and know eventually they will go .so i or we (my boys) enjoy them while they are here!!

My new baby arrived yesterday! african mantis this time.. it molted for the first time this morning.. i'll post some pics hopefully later. Problem is I cant think of a good african name for it beins as im unsure what sex it is as yet, heres some ideas from a few mates lol :

Mustafa

Simba

Zulu

Maurice

petal ??? < erm no, not hard enough :unsure:

Any ideas welcome!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts