Acanthops F. Slipping and sliding...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolMantid

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got a new Acanthops (L2) she is having problems gripping and climbing. When she hangs from a stick, she will only be there for a couple of minutes before she falls off. Is there a reason for this? Also she is refusing food, so I think she might molt soon. Do I need to add mesh or a grid? She is in one of those handmade cages from Mantis Pets, which already comes with a nice grid.

Any help would be great

-Alex

is it a fiberglass mesh? use screen or some nylon fabric, or pantyhose, if u got them that is, even if that is not the problem, it will help her.

*UPDATE*

She can't even climb at all. I add fine mesh from a old fish net and she just fell off it. Literally once i turned it at 90 degree angle she just slipped off!

I took her out and move her in to a deli cup and insantly fell to the bottom. She is resting at the bottom and can barely stand up!!

Any other advice?!

Yes, leave her be. If she is going to molt the more she is stressed out, and forced to move around the weaker she will become. If you are lucky she will be able to regain enough strength to cling to something. Also make sure there are no feeders in with her as well.

follow his advice, at this point she needs to be left alone. I tried all that today with a dead leaf, didn't work, he died, dont ber sorry, it happens.

*UPDATE*

I came in and she was lieing on the ground. I got a twig and nudged her gently and she perked up!

She is now upright but still very weak. Iexpect she will pass in the morning.

I'll keep you updated if anything good happens!

Any chance you can see if she still has the little hooks at the end of her feet? My adult male Acanthops abruptly lost pretty much all his Tarsus at one point and thus couldn't climb properly or hang on to stuff. Since he was an adult it wasn't as much of a problem since he didn't need to hang for molting. It was still rather random though.

*UPDATE*

She died this morning. I wonder what caused it?

Krissim Klaw-Yes she still had those hook things

Upside- I have have a empty cage that needs a mantis

This happened to a sub adult male H coronatus once I had. He finally had a sucessful ground molt, but could still never really climb well again. I suspect his tarsels got damaged beyond a molt repair.

Latest posts