Accidentally cultured Green Metallic Hoverfly (Ornidia obesa)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNisip

Reaction score
Several females have been visiting the 'compost pile' that the black soldier flies are being raised in and depositing hundreds of eggs. The larvae consume the same decomposing material as the BSF. Recently I'm starting to see the older larvae leave the pile to pupate and they mimic the Black Soldier Fly larvae (I don't kno why but pretty closely resemble the look of the BSF larvae ) Now being hoverflys they do have mouthparts and eat, so they can be gutloaded with honey to make healthy mantis food ;) (I assume so because they visit flowers and drink the nectar)...will add pictures soon...

And yes if there are enough going through their life ciycle I should be able to sell them ;) Great for Idolos and Gongys and Orchids :D

Finally got around to posting these pics...
k22XbMN.jpg
F5PgL4Y.jpg

A nice shot of one of the green metallic hoverflies hoverin' over the organic food mush...
kFKmc43.jpg

You can see how the female BSF wedge their abdomen into the grooves of the corrugated cardboard and deposit eggs...
ONLYcva.jpg
sPoGV8s.jpg

We used to have TONS of those when we kept animals back in the early/mid 90's. Green is my favorite color, so I always thought these looked pretty neat. Haven't seen any since though.

my Chinese mantis LOVES the green ones, but wont touch the blue ones.....I wonder if the different colors mean different flavors?? :chef:

Latest posts