Another ID Needed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMFishBoy

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was just directed to this forum from a friend, and I am the proud owner of a praying mantis. You can see a semi-decent picture of it below, but I have no idea what kind it is, or even what sex it is. I've had it for a few weeks now, and it seems to be doing fine, although it seems to be growing a bit slower than its wild siblings. It's been eating relatively well, but I'm gonna try to start feeding it more than I have. I'm redoing its tank this afternoon, so any suggestions on that? I'll try to get better pictures of it once I've redone the tank.

To help with ID, I found it in the mountains of NC in late May.

P1080959.jpg

Probably Tenodera sinensis. Only other mantis that might look similar to this mantis that lives in America is Tenodera angustipennis. I would keep it in a small container so it will be easier for it to catch the food in the container. In the photo it does not look fat. It probably is growing slower than the wild ones because it does not eat as much and will make it smaller too if this is not a picture of it recently after molting. It could be growing slower because it might be in a cooler area than outside like inside a house that is about 70 degrees.

Latest posts