Ants found in ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haysmith999

Reaction score
Hi,

I new here so hopefully this is in the right place :)

I recently got 3 ooths through the post, 2 chinese mantis and 1 carolina mantis. One of the chinese mantis ones has hatched no problem (Luckly not in the post as they hatched the morning after recieving) still waiting on the second. I notice that the carolina mantis egg yesterday morning 2 ants crawled out of it, i know ants like to eat mantis and ive never had this happen before.

Whats the chance that some of the mantis inside will actually have survived the ant attack?

I have removed the ant now

Cheers

Hard to say, guess it depends on how hungry they were and if that was all of them or were there more before u notice, now u must play a new game! It is called " wait and see" :p

Hard to say, guess it depends on how hungry they were and if that was all of them or were there more before u notice, now u must play a new game! It is called " wait and see" :p
A Little old post but...... more than likely the ants you were seeing are parasitic wasp. Being said you have chinese and carolina ooths, they are likley collected in the wild. This is common if you bought them off ebay or something where they collect them in the wild. Parasitic wasp will attach to the female and wait for her to lay the ooth, then the wasp will pump its eggs inside the ooth, when the wasps hatch they feed on the unhatched nymphs making the ooth useless, then the wasp drill small holes and exit the ooth. They look like ants but have a long tail like a antenna. :D

Thanks for the replys, they were parasitic wasps but has now hatched and have a few mantis :)

I got them of eBay uk so not sure if they were collected in the wild but I'm just happy they have hatched now

Latest posts