Any ideas for the next step up?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathlyne

Reaction score
I teach a summer school class for elementary school children all about insects. Last year we purchased two Chinese mantis and a ghost. They were a huge, huge hit with the kids. I would like to add a new species to our class that isn't too difficult, but I am willing to put in the effort. Any suggestions?

Why not try breeding those two species? I'm sure that would be a hit. If you really want to go a step up though, maybe try violin mantids? They can be a bit pricey, and most consider them a harder species, but it seems as long as you have good ventilation, (A net cage, pretty much) heat, molting spots, humidity, and flying food, they seem to be somewhat simple.

I'd try something like a budwing as Nick said. Anything in the genus Sphodromantis, Hierodula, or Rhombodera would be neat. For small children, much like toys larger is better.

You could always have the kids look for food to catch, you could identify it, then feed it to the mantid. These mantids could tackle anything you can find outside so it would be good in that regard. Getting mantids that are picky might be a bit cumbersome for young children.

Also, if you get some US species it would be good to follow the life cycle. For example, at the end of summer put the adults outside and next summer see if you can find any oothecae. You could always keep a pair to make sure they mate and reproduce.

violin you have to keep very hot, like 90-100+

Sp. Lineolas, which I have some nymphs of.

Budwings as Nick said are also easy.

Also Popa Spurcas are a different looking mantis and are very easy to care for.

I would stick with Chinese so they can each get a baby to care for. Then I would get a class pet mantis that should be an exotic type. They could see variations within mantids

I would stick with Chinese so they can each get a baby to care for. Then I would get a class pet mantis that should be an exotic type. They could see variations within mantids
I think this is an excellent idea, because the children will get to care for their own mantis as well and they will be able to see how some are longer than others, skinner etc... etc...

Plus a cool class mantis will show them how different they can be an exotic one will show them how they can change in more obvious ways as well.

Where are you located...? Someone in your area can probably donate the nymphs of ooths you'd need to get through the summer.

I'd try something like a budwing as Nick said. Anything in the genus Sphodromantis, Hierodula, or Rhombodera would be neat. For small children, much like toys larger is better.

You could always have the kids look for food to catch, you could identify it, then feed it to the mantid. These mantids could tackle anything you can find outside so it would be good in that regard. Getting mantids that are picky might be a bit cumbersome for young children.

Also, if you get some US species it would be good to follow the life cycle. For example, at the end of summer put the adults outside and next summer see if you can find any oothecae. You could always keep a pair to make sure they mate and reproduce.
+1 ...on my list of mantids to try for chunky size, beauty, and ease of care: Hierodula majuscula

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Brunner's Mantis (Brunneria borealis)? The most interesting about this species is that they are parthenogenesis. They kinda look like stick insects which is also cool.

Chinese would more than likely break a few hearts with there high death rate at young instars, good idea wrong mantis.

Wow you guys are amazing! Thanks for all of the great ideas. So I am going to research the ideas, ie. Find out what they look like and make a choice. I'll let you know thanks for all the input.

Wow you guys are amazing! Thanks for all of the great ideas. So I am going to research the ideas, ie. Find out what they look like and make a choice. I'll let you know thanks for all the input.
Once you decide let us know, like others said plenty of people on here would be willing to donate what you need im sure.

Chinese would more than likely break a few hearts with there high death rate at young instars, good idea wrong mantis.
I've worked with Chinese around 8 summers, and once I gave them much more space they didn't have a high death rate. Chinese are very active and cages should be adjusted accordingly.

I've worked with Chinese around 8 summers, and once I gave them much more space they didn't have a high death rate. Chinese are very active and cages should be adjusted accordingly.
+1. Easy to get, easy to release, easy to feed and house. And, perhaps most important, easily identified as a mantis... they are THE classic mantid build, and (depending where they live), perhaps the one they're most likely species they will encounter in the wild,

And, as Angel pointed out, likely to experience low-instar deaths, but (for me) that's an important reality to face. I went to a farm in Kindergarten and STILL appreciate that "circle of life" type experience. Having a mantid, instead of say, a phasmid, means they will certainly be seeing plenty of prey-item-deaths. Even friendly-fire incidents, if kept communally, will need to be explained. Be interesting to get some feedback in a few months...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts