Are carrots toxic to Mantises and if so, why?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayzunBoget

Reaction score
So lately I have been told from a few sources that feeding crickets that have carrots in their guts will kill your mantis.

Every time, it is just a parroting of something they read online without any credible sources and had no idea why they were toxic.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I have not heard any thing about carrots & crickets , my meal worms gobble up carrots readily and not affected the mantids ..... S

My guess is this rumor got started because a lot of people use carrots as a water/food source since they don't rot fast and hold moisture for a long time. A lot of these same people offer very little else for subsistence and take poor care of their crickets. Thus it should be no surprise their mantises are getting ill, but they want to blame either the crickets for being crickets or the carrots they were using rather than their all around poor husbandry care of their feeders.

Agreed

My guess is this rumor got started because a lot of people use carrots as a water/food source since they don't rot fast and hold moisture for a long time. A lot of these same people offer very little else for subsistence and take poor care of their crickets. Thus it should be no surprise their mantises are getting ill, but they want to blame either the crickets for being crickets or the carrots they were using rather than their all around poor husbandry care of their feeders.

As others have said this seems to be a rumor started about black death that was due to the poor conditions the crickets were kept in (or crickets in general depending on species and how apt they are to have the virus). I have been using carrots for my meal worms, phoenix worms, and crickets with no ill effects. Baby carrots are a staple in my house, I love them, my dog loves them, and my bugs love them :D