Are diseased crickets killing my Mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumma

Reaction score
I went away on vacation for a week and had my sister house sit. Take care of the plants, the cat... but most importantly, my Mantids. To make it easier on her I bought some crickets from the pet store. I wasn't sure if she would be up to running around the backyard with a butterfly net. (But seriously, who wouldn't be up for that?)

Anyways. These mantids were due to molt to their 5th instar anyday.. and one died... now this morning... another. Their body just starts becoming limp. And eventually, they couldn't hold on to their perch and longer and fall to the ground. I am pissed. I think it was the crickets. 

The only other possibility is that the display case is stained with who knows what. There's a slight smell... i thought I'd take my chances. Everyone has been fine through many molts ... up until the crickets. The substrate is moss from outdoors, changed when there's too much food litter or when it starts to die... ventilation and temp and humidity up to requirements... 

When I came home from vacation, she left a note that said, "All went well! But the crickets are almost all dead." I bought 50. About 40 of them died. 

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Here's a video of the mantids "symptoms" before I euthanized it. 

I've never experienced this myself but everything seems to point to the crickets. The fact 40 out of 50 died is a huge red flag. If the unidentifiable substance staining the display cage is black that is likely another good sign that the cricket virus was the culprit as mantises are known to throw up black liquid when afflicted by "black death".

I'm so sorry this happened, some times we try our best but things just get away from us :(

Over the years, I have rarely had good results from having someone care for "unusual" pets. I have found most can survive much longer than 2 weeks without food. Not very young ones of course. Was easier to get them ready--bit more feeding, extra cleaning, etc.-- than deal with the possible mayhem from improper care.

"Yup. You got it. Feed and water the cats and dogs. Leave the fish alone."       Now it would be same with added "spritz the mantis containers once every 2 days".

I have used commercial crickets for my mantis. No real problem except for care of crickets. Lost 50 or so very small crickets to not enough heat in habitat. Once I learned how to care for them no problems. That was prompted by need during the winter. Not needed now with spring here.

An excellent practice is to isolate any new feeder, mantis, etc. before using or putting with others. Eliminates a whole bunch of potential problems.

While I agree it may have been the crickets, It may also have been caused by other factors.

Bumma,

I've used commercial crickets for years (PetSmart/Petco). Rarely have had any problem with mantid illness or death possibly attributable to crix.  What I've learned is -- it is critical crix be properly gut-loaded at least 2 days before feeding the filthy little buggers to your mantids.  Experience has taught me to use fresh veggies and fruit (crix LOVE collard greens) such as apple bits, lettuce, tropical fish flakes, potatoes.  I steer clear of carrots.  Flukrers Cricket Quencher for fluid needs.  Egg crate cardboard has magic qualities with crix. Truly.  You'll reduce your cricket death rate by a huge percentage if you use egg crate material for them to rest in.  They are filthy SOBs, for sure.  So clean the container every couple of days to reduce illness.  All of this will help assure a nutritious, safe meal for your mantids.

Hope this helps.

I've said this a million times and I guess I will say it again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using crickets as mantis feeders. I have personally used them as my primary feeders for many years. 

The key is getting crickets from a reputable source, not the local chain pet store. Yes, there can be issues with poorly maintained crickets but to say that crickets in general are poor feeders is flat wrong. 

Hear hear, Rick.  However, for those of us who raise a very limited number of mantis pets, it seems the chain stores are the only viable source.  There, you can buy a handful of crix. I have found no specialty vendor that will sell a small number of crix (they can't afford to).  I agree PetSmart, et. al is not the safest source.  But for required small purchases I have found no alternatives.

Crickets seem to work from my local store. In general, it is best imo to use what I call a balanced ratio: 

Depending on species' dietary needs, it be 

Bulk: crickets, roaches (most of them probably), worms 

Fiber: flies, moths, butterflies, dragonflies 

Feeding crix a healthy diet to clean out their guts for a few days is the best way to use store bought. Read up on how to keep them alive. The smaller ones have different needs than the larger.

Just like us, they need a healthy and varied diet to flourish. No one food source can possibly supply all nutritional needs. The purpose of feeding is not just to keep alive but to have them flourish under our care.