Are melanogasters too large grass mantids nymphs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursemelody

Reaction score
I have 1 grass mantid nymph. second day out.... doesn't seem interested in the melanogaster flies... are they too large? Should I go try and pick aphids or something else for her?

Many nymphs don't take food until about the third day, so don't worry, but aphids are always good, too. More importantly, I think that you are the only person raising this mantid, so if you could take careful notes, it would be a great help to others. I have never been able to get this species to reproduce. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Many nymphs don't take food until about the third day, so don't worry, but aphids are always good, too. More importantly, I think that you are the only person raising this mantid, so if you could take careful notes, it would be a great help to others. I have never been able to get this species to reproduce. Thanks!
Wow. I had no idea. I thought that hibiscus had every mantid under the sun.. They seem to be prolific around here... I never could get my male to mate with her, so these ooths (5 so far) are parth...and the nymphs coming out are pretty weak... My first one died because she couldn't get her back legs apart... This one seems stronger, but has not ate yet...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts