are these the wingbuds of a presub????

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is this orchid girl a presub???

8314690449_e7fa4b830d_z.jpg

Does not look pre sub yet. The molt before. L7 is pre sub.

She have to molt one more time and she will be adult.*

Edit: this is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like my girls' wingbuds, and I am almost certain that they are 6th instar. So would it be 2 more molts? 3 more molts would be something cool, but it would be a huge mantis?

I am assuming it is the instar right before subadult.

I have never seen an adult, only comparing what I researched and asked the breeder. The wingbuds seem to form like any other full length winged female mantid's wings?

I thought that I was sure, but am now quite confused. :/

EDIT: Putting some tape on my pretty cups so I can write the molting dates, from now on. lol

I write it with a Sharpie on scotch tape so I don't mark up the containers. Hate to ruin a good cup. ;)

EDIT: Putting some tape on my pretty cups so I can write the molting dates, from now on. lol

I write it with a Sharpie on scotch tape so I don't mark up the containers. Hate to ruin a good cup. ;)
We are marking it on a calendar. :) but with only the two that is easy compared to somebody with several.

Remember that the girls get an extra molt. They can get as long as 2-3/4" so if this one is about 1-1/4" stretched out, it is likely as Paul says. When did the green necklace appear? Any males from the same hatch, if not significantly slowed down could by now be adult as this female as in this stage. Am I right?

My whole problem with this type of topic are the words: "presub" and "subsub". I was taking them to mean the same thing, but some of the posts sound like it may be 2 different things.

I am pretty sure that "subadult" = next molt is final molt, in mantids anyway.

For a female Hymenopus coronatus, I was under the impression that it goes something like this:

1st instar = hatched (red and black, Reduviidae "assassin bug" mimicry)

2nd instar = losing Reduviidae characteristics and becoming more of a flower mimic.

3rd instar = Flower mimicry...

4th instar

5th instar

6th instar = the mantis in the topic? Presub. What is subsub, if not the same? Someone please clarify.

7th instar = subadult

8th instar = adult. If adult can be considered an instar?

They molt a total of 7 times?

Edited to add more detail to changes in appearance.

My whole problem with this type of topic are the words: "presub" and "subsub". I was taking them to mean the same thing, but some of the posts sound like it may be 2 different things.

I am pretty sure that "subadult" = next molt is final molt, in mantids anyway.

For a female Hymenopus coronatus, I was under the impression that it goes something like this:

1st instar = hatched

2nd instar

3rd instar

4th instar

5th instar

6th instar = the mantis in the topic? Presub. What is subsub, if not the same? Someone please clarify.

7th instar = subadult

8th instar = adult. If adult can be considered an instar?

They molt a total of 7 times?
That's correct. Sorry for the confusion. I tend to forget what L stage pre-sub is.