Are these waxworms???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Predatorhousepet

Reaction score
I've bought lots of waxworms over the years from many different suppliers for various creatures and they've always looked and acted the same. The last batch I bought I allowed to pupate and turn into moths, the first of which emerged yesterday. To replace those I bought another batch of waxworms from a new supplier but what I received may not actually be waxworms. They look sort of like waxworms except they are producing lots of web and encasing themselves in cocoon-like sacks as well as clumping all the sawdust into one big webby lump. The cocoons do not appear to be a precursor to pupating but rather more like a protective sack to hang out in, and they will reconstruct it if removed from it. (As an experiment I removed all the worms from the cup minus the webs and cocoons and put them into a cup with fresh sawdust, within 24 hours the cups were again filled with webs and cocooned worms.) I've never had waxworms do this before, the ones I let pupate just turned straight into pupa then moths, no webs or cocoons. These worms are also a LOT more active, than normal waxworms, they actively try to escape and are able to easily crawl over the lip of the cup. They are roughly the same size as a waxworm but not the same light golden color that waxworms usually are but more of a lighter beige color and some have darker brown lines on their segments. Did I receive some other type of worm, perhaps a waxworm relative or is this a normal part of regular waxworm behavior that I'd somehow never encountered before? Any idea what these worms could be? 20180308_234011.jpg2018_03_09_021408.png2018_03_09_021502.png2018_03_09_021348.png2018_03_09_021330.png2018_03_09_022200.png2018_03_09_022115.png

Answering my own question here for future reference. I initially didn't find the answer in a basic Google search but after some digging I did find this rather in-depth discussion on a bug forum about waxworms and silk production as well as how to stop them from doing it. Apparently all moth larvae produce silk and waxworms are no exception, however, store-bought waxworms generally do not produce silk, only home raised ones do. They are not 100% certain why this is but they do have some really good ideas what could be the cause, such as forcing diapause by exposure to cold, bacterial or fungal infection, intentional hormone treatments to prolong the larval stage & saleability or a late stage high sugar diet. They go into much greater detail in the discussion, it's worth a read if you are trying to stop silk production or would like to know a whole lot about waxworm hormone levels.

http://forum.openbugfarm.com/index.php?p=/discussion/159/questions-regarding-the-rearing-of-the-greater-wax-moth