Are water crystals safe?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beginner entomologist

Reaction score
I might need to raise the humidity in my violin enclosure. Will a dish of water crystals help raise humidity? Are these safe? :)

Oh, OK

I've been a little confused. Some people tell me they need 30-40 percent but others say they need 60-80 percent. I found a lamp that keeps the enclosure at about 90 degrees, so temp. will not be a problem.

Some people tell me that they will need a very complicated setup and are hard to care for. Others say that all they need is a 1 gallon jar with moist paper towels at the bottom. If you keep violins please tell me what you use. :)

I keep them in a net cage with paper towel on the bottom, in the bug room which is around 80-87F. in the day, and 78-82 at night. But they are also under a heat lamp 24/7, and I mist them once a day. If you don't have all that heat and the net cage ventilation, I wouldn't mist them every day. I don't mist them enough to keep the paper towel at the bottom moist either.

Oh, OKI've been a little confused. Some people tell me they need 30-40 percent but others say they need 60-80 percent. I found a lamp that keeps the enclosure at about 90 degrees, so temp. will not be a problem.

Some people tell me that they will need a very complicated setup and are hard to care for. Others say that all they need is a 1 gallon jar with moist paper towels at the bottom. If you keep violins please tell me what you use. :)
violin mantids need a net cage. they needs loads of ventilation plus, they can't climb plastic/glass very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Water crystals offer a convenient source of liquids in the sense that they don't evaporate as quickly as water does. With this in mind, water crystals would probably not do anything significant to the humidity levels within an enclosure. A jar of water with a screened lid on top of it would work better, but might still not be enough unless you limited ventilation under high heat (which would increase evaporation).

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the crystals in my roach cages for drinking and find that with them in there and the poo, I don't need to mist, so try it! Hey guys , can't hurt!