Arizona trip 2015

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Madera Canyon never disappoint me. Following species spotted

Bactromantis mexicanus F

Yersiniops sp (2 different species i think), F/M

S. limbata M/F

L. minor M/F

S. californica M

On my last day, My wife and I went to Molino basin campground. I was told Arizona unicorn mantis have been spotted there before.

The way to the campground is beautiful..... cactus on the slope everywhere

z01a_zpsvbonvw2r.jpg

As we ascending towards the mountain, it gets more rocky

Z01b_zpsfob1hiwi.jpg

Finally, nearly 5000 ft above sea level. We arrived at the campground

z01c_zpsi1fyofgx.jpg

Unfortunately, this place appeared to have gone through drought season....... not many insects around

z04_zpsbyeiogou.jpg

The only mantis found was a nymph of B. mexicanus at the restroom

z05_zpsbq5tmlej.jpg

So after spending only 1 hour we decided to go to Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge. THat place is full of insects.

As soon as I stepped on the pavement at the entrance there was a male S. limbata

z06_zps4kd5zwwu.jpg

z07_zpsroxmqmvv.jpg

Many S. limbata females spotted, some even on the pavement

z09_zpsoebi58qz.jpg

z10_zps4msjgdw3.jpg

and around the bush next to the pavement

z11_zpsu48xyt7l.jpg

More S limbata female spotted

z08_zpsfp00vd3o.jpg

This place probably has the highest population of Yersiniops and Litanuetria I have ever seen, but unfortunately the same go to rattler snakes as well so always have to watch our steps. A beautiful place worth visiting. I end up spending most of my time on the last day there.

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Buenos_Aires/about.html

That pretty much wrap up my collecting experience here. There are many more insects and animals I didn't take picture of. Too many actually. BUt here are some of the random pics i still remember where (and why) i took it

A cute narrow mouth toad found near the border

z17_zpszklvgmaj.jpg

Tim messing around with the vine snake..... watch out dude!

z16_zpsmecsq7kg.jpg

Tarantula crossing has been a common sight this trip

z13_zpsl5zlbw00.jpg

SOmetimes slow catepillar try their luck crossing the road too

z14a_zpsixwswvq1.jpg

An ooth found at Arivaca that looks fresh.

z12_zpsq13kse9n.jpg

One of the Western horse lubber crossing the road

MC22_zpsyrvwvxo9.jpg

A panorama view enroute to Sycamore Canyon

z15_zpsagskdknh.jpg

Found around Madera Cayon

z14_zpsuezbzqq7.jpg

Good bye Arizona..... hope to come back again

z18_zpsrwbuk1al.jpg

ABout half a dozen each species.
Awesome, plenty to provide many new nymphs. :D

On my last day, My wife and I went to Molino basin campground. I was told Arizona unicorn mantis have been spotted there before.

The way to the campground is beautiful..... cactus on the slope everywhere

Very beautiful country, the cacti are a interesting sight (especially to those who don't see them daily).

I wondered though about the collecting allowed in the National Forests and such. Seems Arizona has no problem for individuals collecting insects, as the article I found states. I know though in my state most of the DNR/Park rangers can be real royal pains in the behind, so I don't even bother - seems it is up to the individual states the parks are located in regards to their rules.

As you flew in and out of Arizona, did you take the mantids with you on the plane or ship them to yourself at home? I asked to see what is the protocol/guidelines to get them back home after such a trip myself. ;)

Very nice finds. I wonder how well the breeding for each will be ;) shame you didn't find any unicorns, but I suppose they are clever critters to remain hidden.

Awesome, plenty to provide many new nymphs. :D

Very beautiful country, the cacti are a interesting sight (especially to those who don't see them daily).

I wondered though about the collecting allowed in the National Forests and such. Seems Arizona has no problem for individuals collecting insects, as the article I found states. I know though in my state most of the DNR/Park rangers can be real royal pains in the behind, so I don't even bother - seems it is up to the individual states the parks are located in regards to their rules.

As you flew in and out of Arizona, did you take the mantids with you on the plane or ship them to yourself at home? I asked to see what is the protocol/guidelines to get them back home after such a trip myself. ;)
Yea I hope so. I didn't collect all the adult females I came across though, and so as the adult male, but I might be regretting it soon after a closer look at Yersiniops that I collected might appear to be of two different species.

It's alright to collect in the national forest, but not national park, or wildlife refuge center.

I flew with the mantis.

Very nice finds. I wonder how well the breeding for each will be ;) shame you didn't find any unicorns, but I suppose they are clever critters to remain hidden.
I assumed most if not all the adult females should have been mated in the wild this time of the season.

Yea AZ unicorn eluded me again. But then there'll be something for me to hope for the next time I go :)

I was told by a member here about the difference in Yersiniops collected when i posted some pics on FB. I didn't pay much attention at first but when I set the Yersiniops up at home I started to see differences.

This is the pic taken when both Yersiniops are being fed.

yersi01_zps9ukerfcx.jpg

Placing it side by side. You can see the one on the left has wider and shorter pronotum, while the one on the right has longer and slender pronotum.

yercomp01_zpsvzbpv2xy.jpg

Here are another two photos showing the differences. THe one on left has wider head and less pointy eyes while the right one has narrower head and "longer" pointy eyes.

yercomp02_zpsqh1ce16p.jpg

yercomp03_zpsu1wdyd1q.jpg

This is interesting to me........

Yea I hope so. I didn't collect all the adult females I came across though, and so as the adult male, but I might be regretting it soon after a closer look at Yersiniops that I collected might appear to be of two different species.

It's alright to collect in the national forest, but not national park, or wildlife refuge center.

I flew with the mantis.
I hope so as well. I see what you mean with the Yersiniops species. It's great you got two species, but hopefully there is enough of each to bred.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to do some searching to see where I can collect some ootheca this year if nothing else (and do more searching for details for next summer).

It is old, but the book by Helfer describes both species. On the right you have Y. sophronicum, "Yersin's ground mantis". On the left is Y. solitarium "Horned ground mantis". On your next trip you will need to find S. gracilipes as well. Don't think that one has been kept yet.

It is old, but the book by Helfer describes both species. On the right you have Y. sophronicum, "Yersin's ground mantis". On the left is Y. solitarium "Horned ground mantis". On your next trip you will need to find S. gracilipes as well. Don't think that one has been kept yet.
Thanks Mike!

A few years ago didn't u get s gracilipes but didn't know exactly wat it was at the time?

That was really cool Yen... great pictures & story... thanks for sharing...

In the large picture where there is supposedly an S. limbata male, where is it? I saw a small shadow on a reed, in the bottom right center, about an inch from the frame (Is that it?) Also, a few of these mantids look like I. oratoria, especially one of the males on the pavement. Great pics overall, though. :)  Also, how did you get the mantis on a plane?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the large picture where there is supposedly an S. limbata male, where is it? I saw a small shadow on a reed, in the bottom right center, about an inch from the frame (Is that it?) Also, a few of these mantids look like I. oratoria, especially one of the males on the pavement. Great pics overall, though. :)  Also, how did you get the mantis on a plane?

slmale01.jpg

Latest posts