Armadillidium vulgare?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batsofchaos

Reaction score
I have fairly good access to Armadillidium vulgare (pill bugs or rollie-pollies) of assorted sizes and I'm curious if they'd be good mantis food? They have those nifty defenses, would a mantis be able to even eat one?

Haha, I guess so! I'm getting some ghosts this weekend, I suppose I can see if they like pill bugs then. I hope they do, my mother's garden is crawling with them! And they're so easy to catch; poke 'em and pick up the ball-o-woodlouse. :D

Not a good food. They stay hidden and will just go under something and hide. I guess you could try hand feeding them. My turtles love em.

I might try that. I'll also tell my mom to try and feed her red-eared slider some. :D I'll probably stick with D. hydei and other more common mantis foodstuffs.

I might try that. I'll also tell my mom to try and feed her red-eared slider some. :D I'll probably stick with D. hydei and other more common mantis foodstuffs.
Mine are land turtles.

I've hand fed them to chinese mantids. If they get at the underside of the pillbug or the head they can generally eat the rest out like watermelon on a rind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts