Asian Boxer Mantis Communal?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no considering the female is more than three times the size of the male.

T*heopropus elegans is known formally as the banded flower mantis and is not classified as a boxer as far as I know..

Also it was said that the sexual dimorphism will most likely lead to all females, though keeping seperate the sexes, but caged comunually could be a good idea

Can't wait to get a hold of some

I was curious about this too, after I saw the Discovery channel documentary on mantids that showed boxers (it says boxers but I am not adept at identifying species) doing something like what I call the "creo dance." It's around 27:19 in the vid.

If you haven't seen this, by the way, it's pretty cool. Although it has quite a bit of footage toward the end of mantids eating vertebrates. And I do wish it did a better job of naming the species it was showing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38K5-JSHdoo

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some of those are mine and the sprout channel is showing some of mine too! the other day when Fuzzy was here, we watched it and it was all about insects! tks Fuzzy~ :kiss:

"Nests"? Can we at least mention the name ootheca. Just saying...Birds make nests and also a few rats in some poor souls' hair. IT'S AN OOTH! :angry:

Edit- OMG...Now they just called it a "porous cocoon". I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
some lady once talked to me about hatching a mantis ooth and called it a cocoon and i gave her a huge lecture on ooths and incomplete metamorphosis and all

then my mom got MAD lol :lol: :oops:

I was curious about this too, after I saw the Discovery channel documentary on mantids that showed boxers (it says boxers but I am not adept at identifying species) doing something like what I call the "creo dance." It's around 27:19 in the vid.

If you haven't seen this, by the way, it's pretty cool. Although it has quite a bit of footage toward the end of mantids eating vertebrates. And I do wish it did a better job of naming the species it was showing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38K5-JSHdoo
Thanks for this video, I've never seen this one before, some really good film work in it. Going to put it on DVD so I can watch on large screen.