Bad Molt Rehab

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddythemic

Reaction score
My Creobrater Pictipennis just started molting last night but this morning I saw that he fell.

I tried spraying him with water and laying him down in a spoon bath, but his remaining 3 legs seems not to move. His "arms" can move with help and he can wiggle his antennae and move his head and mouth.

Does anyone have any experience with having them heal from this? He seems "paraplegic"; but i don't know if it's temporary or not.

Please help.

If he's not an adult I wouldn't think he has any chance of molting normally again. If he is an adult, as long as he can still eat he'll make it. Depends on whether you want to commit to feeding a disabled mantid. It can be a lot more work at times. My female Chinese frequently needs a little extra help with taking prey down, and I usually just feed her straight out of the tongs. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

What is a spoon bath? Unless you can help a mantis right when it falls there isn't much you can do. Once they fall and start to dry they get deformed. Unless it is minor, they cannot recover. Last thing you want to do is spray them when they fall.

If it doesn't have working legs I Thin kit's in trouble.

I had a dead leaf who molted during shipment. It lost two legs in the molt and it's antennae.

It recently molted again but fell during the second mismolt due to not enough legs to maintain grip. (only two)

Nedless to say it got even worse and I had to put it down. I was able to feed it between the two mismolts and it even regrew a leg on the second mismolt, but since it couldn't walk very good after the first mismolt it still got worse after the second. Had to put it down.

Here is is in it's second mismolt form

tonsofpicsdoh037.jpg

tonsofpicsdoh036.jpg

My guy is just laying there on his side and turns his head to look at me when I go in the room. He'll eat dead fly legs / wings that I offer near his mandibles; but besides that he can't do anything else.

I'm starting to think that putting him in the freezer would be the best thing for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guy is just laying there on his side and turns his head to look at me when I go in the room. He'll eat dead fly legs / wings that I offer near his mandibles; but besides that he can't do anything else.

I'm starting to think that putting him in the freezer would be the best thing for him.
Honestly, if that's all he's doing, I would put him down.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Our little guy is sick and I think won't last the night. My sympathies. It'sjust so very sad.

Kris

I'm gonna go get some honey for him first I think.

(Creobrater Pictipennis is a great species,...thanks Sparky.)